Erratic Mouse

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by PuppyKatt, Jul 27, 2004.

  1. PuppyKatt

    PuppyKatt Guest

    Windblowz XPH
    Pro 2300+ AMD processor
    80gig hdd; NTFS
    labtec optical mouse

    Problem: no matter what I am doing (playing cards, surfing the net,
    reading e-mail or newsgroups, the mouse poiner will randomly jump to
    another spot on the page or desk top. One example is, when playing a
    card game, when I attempt to select a card, the mouse pointer will
    suddenly jump to the Start button, or up to the toolbar, or to the My
    computer icon on the desktop.
    Another example is when just on desktop, I would move the mouse to click
    an icon, only to discover that the mouse arrow has jumped to another
    area of the desktop, and the wrong program gets clicked, or the grey box
    pops open as though I had right-clicked it.
    I doubt very much that is is the mouse itself (perhaps the settings),
    because this is not the only mouse that behaves like this, and they are
    not all optical mice that I have tried. Any suggestions?
    I Uninstalled TweakUI, thinking that I may have screwed up some sittings
    in that. I have also lowered refresh rates, scanned with two on-line
    anti-virus programs, and ran the completely up-to-date McAfee, AdAware,
    Spybot S&D, and make sure that Spyware blaster is updated.
    I have also tried disabling, uninstalling, and reinstalling different
    mice, but only with the same results.

    PuppyKatt, Jul 27, 2004

  2. Perhaps switching to decaf might help. ;)

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 27, 2004

  3. PuppyKatt

    DennisTurner Guest

    Have you tried updating the driver for your mouse?

    DennisTurner, Jul 27, 2004
  4. PuppyKatt

    Paul - xxx Guest

    PuppyKatt typed:
    Have you tried different ports for the mice ? If the PS2 (standard) mouse
    port is faulty, perhaps a USB mouse will be better.

    Some of the moves you say it makes suggests you have a setting that changes
    the 'focus' of the mouse .. Have a look at the settings in Control Panel -
    Mouse - Pointer Options and see if 'Snap to' isn't checked. If it's empty,
    check it and see what happens, then un-check it again and re-boot. ;)

    Paul - xxx, Jul 27, 2004
  5. PuppyKatt

    Jerry G. Guest

    I have had a defective mouse cause this type of operation. I have seen it a
    number of times. Try another mouse to verify this. I am sure that this is
    the problem.

    --

    Jerry G.
    ==========================

    Jerry G., Jul 27, 2004
  6. PuppyKatt

    PuppyKatt Guest

    As I mentioned, I HAVE tried several different brands and types of
    computer mice.

    : I have had a defective mouse cause this type of operation. I have seen
    it a
    : number of times. Try another mouse to verify this. I am sure that this
    is
    : the problem.
    :
    : --
    :
    : Jerry G.
    : ==========================
    :
    :
    : : Windblowz XPH
    : Pro 2300+ AMD processor
    : 80gig hdd; NTFS
    : labtec optical mouse
    :

    PuppyKatt, Jul 27, 2004
  7. PuppyKatt

    billybronco Guest

    This happened on my old computer. It turned out that the ps2 port the mouse
    was connected to was faulty.

    billybronco, Jul 27, 2004
  8. PuppyKatt

    PuppyKatt Guest

    Thanks, billy; I at least have something to go on. If I pop a USB
    adapter onto the mouse, and plug it into one of the USB ports, will the
    mouse work, or will Windblows not recognize it?

    :
    : : > As I mentioned, I HAVE tried several different brands and types of
    : > computer mice.
    : >
    :

    PuppyKatt, Jul 28, 2004
  9. I had this problem.

    Tried all sorts of suggested solution. Simple answer was that mouse was past
    its sell-by-date, and so i bought a new one. Works fine now.

    Neil Greenough, Jul 28, 2004
  10. PuppyKatt

    billybronco Guest

    That should work, USB is plug n play, shouldnt require any drivers, though I
    cant say for sure. This is assuming the USB port isnt also buggered!.

    HTH.

    billybronco, Jul 28, 2004
  11. Check your mouse properties, some mouse software has a 'smart" type option
    that makes the pointer go to any link, icon etc.

    Betty Lou Poindexter, Jul 29, 2004