Erratic mouse behaviour

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Alyce Addertongue, Aug 22, 2006.

  1. Over the last month or so, the mouse (actually a mouse on a Wacom tablet)
    has been lagging farther and farther behind the physical movement - I move
    the mouse, there is a noticeable pause, then the cursor "runs to catch up,"
    usually overreaching and resulting in a drunken move-back-then-move-forward
    adjustment that is getting really irritating. There is a 'feeling' that the
    computer is busy off doing something else, using RAM, and is putting the
    mouse commands in a queue to wait for available memory. To combat this
    'feeling' I have increased the RAM to 1GB, but the delay continues to get
    worse...

    Where can I start looking for a reason for this behaviour? I have gone thru
    the System Log, but I don't see an obvious reason, nor can I find another
    program/service running that would take up all system resources like this.
    When I stick with one open window or program, it seems to 'settle down' for
    a while, then becomes erratic again for a while, then becomes predictable
    again for a while... obviously something is running in the background that
    grabs the mouse's resources - how can I find it?

    I've run a dozen malware and virus scanners, even a rootkit detector, and
    can't find a culprit...

    Dell Dimension 4550 - 3 yrs old
    Pentium 4 - 1.2 GHz
    1 GB Ram / Win XPHome
    Wacom 4X5 pen/mouse tablet, seems to be a MS driver dated 2001...?

    ~RL

    Alyce Addertongue, Aug 22, 2006

  2. Alyce Addertongue

    Richard Guest

    Try going to Control Panel, Hardware, Device Manager and uninstall it.
    Reboot the computer and it should find it and re-install it. Might work!

    Richard, Aug 22, 2006

  3. Alyce Addertongue

    Sven Guest

    You have described the symptoms of a clogged-with-debris mouse. Try to
    remove as much of it as you can...canned air works well but sometimes a fine
    thread or hair becomes very tenacious. If you can't clear it out within a
    reasonable time then toss it....mice cost very little to buy

    Sven, Aug 28, 2006