Ergonomic mouse followup

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Ray Greene, Jun 14, 2007.

  1. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    Just in case anyone is interested, in the end I got an Evoluent
    VerticalMouse. It has more buttons than the others I looked at and I
    like mouse buttons :)

    It has the usual 3 buttons plus a clickable scroll wheel and a little
    "back" button for the thumb. I had an A4Tech 5 button mouse with 2
    scroll wheels before so I still miss the extra bits.

    It is effectively a normal mouse tipped on it's side. It is taking a
    bit of getting used to but the important thing is that it doesn't
    aggravate my wrist pain at all, in fact the pain has almost completely
    gone. I'm glad I did something about it before it got really bad.

    The main problem with it is making small mouse movements. I never
    realised it before but with a normal mouse I have my thumb and the
    flat of my hand resting on the mousepad, and so I can move the mouse
    accurately with small hand and thumb movements. With the Evoluent only
    the side of my hand is touching the pad so it uses different muscles
    to do the job.

    That's OK for large movements but for the fine ones it takes practice
    to get good at it.

    Overall I'm very happy with it and now I'm getting used to it it feels
    a lot more natural to hold than a regular mouse.

    Ray Greene, Jun 14, 2007

  2. Ray Greene

    vitw Guest

    Whatever works is great. If it feels more natural over time and gives you
    more control, even better.

    I was getting some wrist problems, but these went away from the simple
    addition of a gel cushion under the wrist.

    I also got some relief from reducing my use of the scroll wheel, and
    reversing the two main buttons, so that my middle finger now clicks the
    main button.

    Haven't had any pains or discomfort for more than 6 months.

    vitw, Jun 14, 2007

  3. Ray Greene

    ZzzummM Guest

    Well, thanks to this thread I bought a 3M Ergonomic optical mouse ..... the one that looks like a joystick. I have to say it's absolutely brilliant. Far more comfortable to hold, much more precise to use. Wish I'd found out about them years ago.

    ZzzummM, Jun 16, 2007
  4. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    You're lucky. I found one of those was good too, but not enough to
    solve the problem.
    I do a bit of CAD so my mouse hand gets quite a bit of work and it has
    to be precise. I usually keep one hand on the mouse and the other on
    the keyboard.
    That tells you you're doing something right.

    Ray Greene, Jun 16, 2007