    John Ortt Guest

    More Great suggestions,

    Thanks Phil

    John Ortt, Dec 1, 2006

  2. John Ortt

    Paul Mitchum Guest

    Olympus XA, Fuji Velvia, mailers.

    If you need super-spiff SLR stuff, rent cameras and lenses in the
    various places you visit.

    Paul Mitchum, Dec 1, 2006

  3. John Ortt

    John Ortt Guest

    I'm not a good enough photographer to use film. I rely heavilly on the
    feedback from the histograms and viewing the pictures onscreen to itterate
    my settings for the conditions.

    I have nothing but admiration for people who can use film cameras properly,
    unfortunately I am not one of them :(
    That was my original intention. Most of my wildlife photography would be in
    Kruger Park (South Africa) so I would have liked to simply hire an
    additionnal SLR (1.6 crop) with a 400mm prime and the amazing 70-200 f2.8
    for the 300D which I already own. That would cover all the ranges and
    provide amazing photos.

    I just cant find anyone hiring the equipment in South Africa.

    If I could do that I could probrably make do with an S3 IS as suggested
    earlier in the thread for the rest of the trip.

    (I also like the idea of the S3 as it could function as a backup camera if
    the 300D packed in.)

    John Ortt, Dec 1, 2006
  4. John Ortt

    snapper Guest

    I've gotta move countries!

    In Australia one is very lucky to have just 50 meg of space. Most ISPs offer only 5 or 10 meg.

    snapper, Dec 1, 2006
  5. John Ortt

    JC Dill Guest

    You can always buy used cameras and bodies, then resell them when you
    are done using them.

    My local camera store rents the 400mm prime for $100 a day, the 70-200
    f2.8 for $30 a day, and bodies range from $100-200 a day. If you
    rented them for 10 days, you would end up spending several thousand
    dollars on rental fees. If you buy used, and sell used, you should be
    able to sell for *about* what you pay for them.

    Consider buying used from B&H or Adorama unless you know how to buy
    safely off of eBay - always, ALWAYS make sure you fund the payment
    100% with a credit card, in case the transaction goes wrong (you don't
    get the item, or it arrives broken or otherwise not as advertised) you
    can do a chargeback with your CC company. Then you can either sell
    back to B&H or Adorama (if they buy used instead of just taking it in
    trade, ask them) or sell it on eBay. You would want to have a friend
    run the eBay auctions for you - ship them the gear and have them
    photograph and list it and then be able to ship it to the winner.
    When selling make sure you know how to sell safely - there are scams
    where the buyer claims the equipment was received broken or never
    received etc. Don't rely on eBay or PayPal to protect you, their
    protection policies are (mostly) useless.

    HTH

    jc

    JC Dill, Dec 1, 2006
  6. John Ortt

    Justin C Guest

    .... and you mentioned the possibility of taking a laptop.

    Are you serious about back-packing? Have you *ever* back-packed before?
    I can't believe no-one else has said that you'd be mad to take so much
    gear on that type of holiday.

    You'll not have enough room to carry a whole bunch of other stuff you
    will want. You'll end up with a hernia/bad back from carrying all that
    kit as well as everything else you need. You will damage a lot of
    expensive gear because, over the course of a year, you *are* going to
    knock and drop your back-pack. You will regret it within days, if not
    hours, because of the weight.

    What about charging batteries? ... that's a charger too, then... for how
    many devices?

    I'd be *very* tempted with a compact because you are going to be very
    precious about space in your luggage... and maybe it'd be something
    manual so I'd not have to worry about power (and pack a Weston light
    meter to check exposure). I know you don't like film but having that
    expense will make you think more about each shot and improve your
    photography skill than just banging out any old snap every 30 seconds.

    I think you got more than 2p worth there!

    Justin C, Dec 1, 2006

  7. Good point, but I'm not sure the OP is doing "that" kind
    of backpacking.

    In 30+ years of *real* backpacking (Adirondacks, White
    Mountains, Appalachian Trail) I've continually traded
    *down* to ever-lighter camera gear.

    First it was a Ricoh SLR. Then it was a Canon
    G2, then a Canon A620 (a few months ago.)

    I'm thinking for my next long trek it's going to be
    a Pentax Optio or something else in that league
    (five ounces or less.)

    I'm trying to keep the overall pack base weight
    to 15 lbs or less.

    rafe b
    www.terrapinphoto.com

    Raphael Bustin, Dec 2, 2006
  8. John Ortt

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    I can't imagine he really means backpacking.
    Perhaps trekking or touring.

    Phil

    Phil Wheeler, Dec 2, 2006
  9. I should have been more clear. I was refering to hosted web servers and not
    the space that the ISP 'generously' gives you for a personal web account. I
    pay $119.40/year ($9.95/month) for my two web servers. My old web server
    (webmasters.com) is now up to 10 gigabytes (originally it was 1 gigabyte), and
    I just noticed my new webserver (dreamhost.com) is 200 gigabytes (originally it
    was 10 or 20 gigabytes). So if you were using dreamhost, you could use it to
    upload a lot of photos. But my point about the bandwidth available at the
    average internet cafe is still probably true.

    Michael Meissner, Dec 2, 2006