    Any suggestions?

    Thanks in advance!

    -Colleen

    colleen.raynor, Feb 28, 2005

  2. colleen.raynor

    Harvey Guest

    You have to buy one. Printer manufacturers save a fortune by not including
    one in the box (or so they'd have you believe).

    What you want is known as a USB A to B cable, with plugs like these
    http://www.lastar.net/images_lastar/product_images/13172.jpg. The A part is
    the rectangular plug that goes in your PC, the B is the square plug that
    goes in the back of the printer.

    Harvey, Feb 28, 2005

  3. colleen.raynor

    Sheldon Guest

    Wouldn't it be the same cable you use to transfer images from your camera to
    a computer (USB)? So many people use a card reader they forget that you can
    transfer directly from the camera with the supplied cable.

    Sheldon, Feb 28, 2005
  4. colleen.raynor

    Tom Scales Guest

    Most cables use a mini-A (or is it mini-B)

    Tom Scales, Feb 28, 2005
  5. You need to buy the USB cable. It's a completely normal USB cable
    (that is, not an extension or anything special). Epson isn't
    including them with printers (my R800 didn't have one either).

    David Dyer-Bennet, Feb 28, 2005
  6. colleen.raynor

    Mark² Guest

    They appear to be returning to the old and similar tendency to NOT include Parallel cables
    with printers. Most of us have half a dozen or more USB cables collecting dust from the
    various readers, and other devices that include them without purpose.

    I've probably got 15 of those things lying around my office...

    Mark², Feb 28, 2005
  7. colleen.raynor

    wire 54 Guest

    The reason that they don't include them is to allow those retailers selling
    printers at a low profit margin to recoup
    by selling USB cables at great profit !. So you go to buy a printer, look
    round and my store may not have the best
    price but hey, I will discount the USB cable from £9.95 to £1.00 to you as a
    valued customer. You get a good deal
    and so do I as the USB cable only cost me £0.50 anyway.

    But then if I sell the USB cable at full price I will probably make more
    actual profit on that than on the printer.

    Sad but true, I ran such a shop.

    wire 54, Feb 28, 2005
  8. colleen.raynor

    Dave Guest

    I think the real reason they don't include them is that they don't know how
    far it is from your computer to your printer location so they can't package
    a single cable that will meet everyone's needs. If it's too short you
    still have to but an extension. If it's too long it adds to the cable
    clutter. Just right probably only applies to 20% or less of purchasers.
    Since nothing is free, including a cable you can't use forces you to pay
    more for the package than would otherwise be necessary. It's a case of
    damned if you do and damned if you don't for the manufacturer.

    Dave, Feb 28, 2005
  9. colleen.raynor

    canongirly Guest

    Doesn't seem to bother them (manufacturers) when they package scanners,
    modems, or card readers though.

    I have to admit that even though I am an fan of Epson and have owned various
    printers (currently 3 830's ) it does piss me off that they don't include
    the usb cable.

    canongirly, Mar 1, 2005
  10. colleen.raynor

    Larry Guest

    I havent recieved a cable with any printer Ive purchased in the last 10 years
    (that would be about 50 printers).

    As far as I know, it has been the "industry standard" to NOT include a cable
    with the printer for quite a number of years. (Lexmark being the only
    exception, they included a cable in the box with a 3-in=1 bought by a
    relative last year).

    Larry, Mar 1, 2005
  11. My Lexmark z605 also didn't have the usb cable, but as I got it with the
    computer, I got one for free (0 euro says my invoice).I'm also wondering,
    how the modem included one, which by miracle is just the right length, and
    the camera, too (Kodak CX 7300).

    Dimitrios Tzortzakakis, Mar 1, 2005
  12. colleen.raynor

    Larry Guest

    All the digital cameras I have purchased (for myself and others) came with a
    USB cable. That includes Canon, Olympus, Sony, Kodak, Fuji, and even an HP..

    Modems OTOH are a different breed.. About half of the external modems (USB)
    have come with a cable, half have NOT.

    My last USRobotics External modem was USB/Serial, it came with a serial cable
    but NOT a USB cable.

    Larry, Mar 1, 2005
  13. colleen.raynor

    George Guest

    I think it is more of a cost issue (and a concession to the retailer to make
    more profit). First, you are
    buying a $100 printer that comes with $80 worth of ink cartridges (some
    printer omit the ink or at least the color ink). And most retailers sell
    the bubble-packed $20-25 USB cables...I got mine on-line for less than $3.

    George

    George, Mar 2, 2005