    An answer that I, a simple idiot when it comes to most things digital / home
    printing can understand would be appreciated. I would want to do some Black
    & White printing too so any thaughts there?

    Piemanlager, Apr 15, 2005

  2. You need to read this:

    http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/interactive/Epson R1800/page_1.htm

    My R1800 was ordered today.

    "The past is foreign country: they do things differently there."

    _The Go-Between_
    L.P. Hartley
    1895 - 1972

    John A. Stovall, Apr 16, 2005

  3. Piemanlager

    Piemanlager Guest

    Piemanlager, Apr 16, 2005
  4. Piemanlager

    Rick Guest

    Unless one needs or wants the extra width, I didn't see anything
    in the review that recommends it over the R800. Wider color
    gamut? Where? I sure didn't see it. And still no paper cutter.

    Rick, Apr 16, 2005
  5. Piemanlager

    measekite Guest

    They are supposed to have the same print engine. The R1800 being a wide
    format version of the R800. I do not think the difference is all that
    much and you might be more comfortable to have the added flexibility.
    By having that capability you might be encouraged to make a sample and
    sell more thus recouping your cost. Except for paper I think the
    operating cost is the same. I know you want better longevity but I
    think the Canon i9900 produces a more vivid more stunning print.

    Besides on the question of longevity, my wedding album faded with very
    little viewing and stored in a cool dark place in about 20 years and
    that was wet process before inkjet printers were even invented.

    measekite, Apr 16, 2005
  6. Don't want to be constrained by the smaller width of the R800 for the
    day I want to use it.

    "The world is a book, and those who do not travel,
    read only a page."

    Saint Augustine (354 - 430)

    John A. Stovall, Apr 16, 2005
  7. Piemanlager

    Pete D Guest

    Thats bad luck, our album is almost 25 years old and as sharp, bright and
    crisp as the day it was handed to us. Have you tried going back to the
    photographer?

    Pete D, Apr 16, 2005

  8. I have had mine just over a week now and it is producing stunning
    results.

    I am not one for necessarily using the 'in the box' software but the
    raw print utility works exceptionally well with my D70 NEF files and
    even blowing the image to A3+ gives no discernible degradation of
    image.

    I was a little worried about a calculation that someone did on ink
    usage but after a dozen or more A3+ images in full Colour and 6 in
    black and white on a variety of papers including matt archival, the
    cmy tanks show just over half and the rest show almost no movement,
    considering the fact that quite a lot of ink is used in charging the
    system the first time you use it this is excellent.

    It is also quick, although I have not timed it, it takes less time to
    give me an A3 than the R300 to give me an A4.

    John Worsfold

    John Worsfold, Apr 17, 2005
  9. Piemanlager

    Bill Tuthill Guest

    My overwhelming impression after reading the photo-i.co.uk review
    is that I would buy the HP 8450 instead, because it seems both
    sharper and smoother at the same time, with better yellow reproduction.

    Bill Tuthill, Apr 18, 2005