    Any recommendations anyone?

    Thanks

    John

    Eatmorepies, Mar 12, 2005

  2. Eatmorepies

    rafe bustin Guest

    I would look toward the established third-party
    ink vendors, for example...

    mediastreet.com
    weink.com
    carrotink.com
    inkjetgoodies.com
    mrinkjet.com

    Specifically, I would stay away from the
    outrageously cheap specials on eBay.

    Also, consider buying Epson carts from a
    reputable wholesaler, like Atlex.

    rafe b.
    http://www.terrapinphot.com

    rafe bustin, Mar 12, 2005

  3. Eatmorepies

    leon Guest

    I get mine here:
    http://www.valueshop.co.uk/
    £8.33 ea post free, excellent service.
    I would never use compatible, have done with photo 750 and they stuffed
    it completely (jettec), and the prints smelled like cat p*ss.

    leon, Mar 12, 2005
  4. Eatmorepies

    Marten Guest

    Marten, Mar 12, 2005
  5. Eatmorepies

    tomm101 Guest

    John,
    You purchased a printer with very specific ink requirements. Folks may
    advertise but there is no other ink on the market with the same
    qualities for an Epson R series. The Epson ink gives you prints that
    are great on glossy and last for longer than high quailty photo prints.
    What is offered on the web as substitutes are cheap dye ink sets with
    no life expectancy. You bought a printer that nothing in its class
    existed a year ago, why screw it up.

    Tom

    tomm101, Mar 12, 2005
  6. Eatmorepies

    Ivor Floppy Guest

    Eatmorepies wrote:

    Because its cheaper to buy a new printer (with a full set of inks) than it
    is to buy a set of Epson inks? Thats one of the main reasons as I see it.

    Ivor Floppy, Mar 12, 2005
  7. Eatmorepies

    measekite Guest

    One has to be careful with 3rd party inks, especially with Epson
    printers. Epson printers are more prone to clogging. That said many
    people have had some luck with Formulabs and MSI inks.

    measekite, Mar 12, 2005
  8. Eatmorepies

    rafe bustin Guest

    The R200 uses dye inks, not Ultrachromes.
    I don't see where Epson is making any claims
    about archival prints from the R200.

    There are lots of reputable ink vendors on
    the internet. But (maybe it's just me) I'd
    stay away from the eBay vendors, and stick
    with outifts like carrot ink or mediastreet.

    (Ie., outfits with a know presence and track
    record.)

    rafe b.
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com

    rafe bustin, Mar 12, 2005
  9. Eatmorepies

    measekite Guest

    What specific software did you use to create your site; especially the
    ability to vary the size of the photos?

    measekite, Mar 13, 2005
  10. Eatmorepies

    rafe bustin Guest

    It's strictly home-brew. A C program (which I wrote)
    generates HTML and Javascript, from a simple database
    (The "database" is just a text file.)

    There are additional programs (also home-brew) that
    invoke ImageMagick to size the photos and add the
    simulated "mats" and drop-shadows.

    It's quite a pain in terms of upkeep, which is why
    I haven't updated it in over a year.

    A better way would be to use server-side code, eg. PHP.

    Resizing of images is trivial with Javascript.

    rafe b.
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com

    rafe bustin, Mar 13, 2005
  11. Eatmorepies

    zakezuke_us Guest

    I went the total cheapskate route and went with refillable carts
    ordered on e-bay from Hong Kong for about $8.00 each including ink. As
    it turns out more established companies are offering similar deals, but
    not typicaly refilled with ink. I also bought bulk ink from MIS a
    company reccomended to me in another group.. There are plenty of
    options in the UK for both refillable carts and bulk ink. Speaking in
    US dollars, I'm looking to pay about $256/gal for decent ink, rather
    than $5000/gal for epson genuine ink. Based on your quote £2620/gal
    assuming 13ml/cart. This quote however may not be accurate as I pulled
    a good 3ml out of a cart the printer claimed was empty.

    For some reason mine didn't print right away... I suspect it's because
    there was too much vacuum in the carts. The instructions clearly
    recommend sucking out the air and adding ink. In fact, that was the
    only instruction. After a "deep cleaning" using the SSC it's working
    like a charm.

    There are also continious flow systems which have tubes to external
    tanks that are painfully easy to refill. But the Epson R200 is wide
    enough for me as is.

    zakezuke_us, Mar 16, 2005
  12. I bought preipower's continuous ink for my cx4600 from a guy in Canada and
    found it to be reliable. Set up was just like replacing cartridges. There
    were two holes on the top of each cartridge. You have to remove the plugs
    which are close to you when installed while you should leave the others as
    plugged. Refill is easy. Just inject into the opened holes using the
    syringes provided. Each ink comes with 30ml additional ink. I expect that
    the sponge will not function after a few months. HOwever, for about $75, I
    think it is a better deal than any other kind.
    I do not know if their chips have to be resetted. Since I have a
    resetter, I did it for two cartridges anyway.
    I do not expect ink quality will be the same especially for dura-
    character, which is resistance to water.

    bert via PhotoKB.com, Apr 2, 2005
  13. I also bought Inktec refills for my Lexmark Z605 for only 15 euro.It's also
    easy, you open wider one hole at the top of the cartridge, and you inject
    ink by the syringe.It's 4 fillings, and the salesman told me that after 6-7
    times the cartridge needs replacing with an original one.I never print
    prints at home, because commercial prints cost only 30 cents from any
    digital original.

    Dimitrios Tzortzakakis, Apr 2, 2005