Epson R200 - can it survive not printing for long periods?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Al, Oct 10, 2004.

  1. Al

    Al Guest

    Hi

    I am looking to buy an ink jet printer capable of printing digital
    photos and the R200 seems to fit my requirements and at the moment the
    price seems to be very competitive with lots of special offers
    available.

    However my concern is that I envisage printing photos in batches after
    holidays, parties etc. and the printer will not be used for long periods
    (weeks or even months) and reading on the group that people with Epsons
    seem to recommend printing something daily (or thereabouts) I am worried
    that the R200 would not take kindly to being ignored.

    Am I wrong or should I be looking at the HP line where at least if the
    works get completely gummed up you can change the cartridge. One reason
    I am wary is that my Epson 600 clogged so badly that nothing I could do
    got the heads clear again (it was left switched off for a very long time
    so not blaming the printer - just want to avoid a repetition).

    Cheers

    Al

    Al, Oct 10, 2004

  2. Al

    John Doe Guest

    I have this printer and use it for printing CDs and DVDs only. For photos I
    use my Canon i9100. That said mine generally sits for about a month at a
    time without being turned on and I have yet to have a problem.

    John

    John Doe, Oct 11, 2004

  3. Epson put cleaning fluid in their ink cartridges, compatible companies do
    not, so long periods of using compatible cartridges leads to regularly
    blocked jets. I had this with a photo 750 where I had to clean the jets 5
    or more times before it would print properly after a period of inactivity of
    as little as a week. I have jusy bought an R200 so will have to use
    manufacturer's cartridges for at least the warranty period. Anyone else had
    experiences of this sort, or have I just been unlucky?

    Geoff

    Geoff Hayward, Oct 11, 2004