    White Film? I currently use a 2200, and have read that the 1800
    supposedly outperforms it on glossy media. Is the R2400 better for
    color or just b/w? Thanks.

    hassy_user, Feb 22, 2006

  2. hassy_user

    frederick Guest

    This question must have been asked and answered thousands of times, so
    much that most of the answers are even on Epson USA website via an
    R1800/2400 comparison.
    The R2400 and R1800 will both eat the 2200 alive - on any media, and
    especially on gloss. The R2400 is optimised for B&W, the R1800 for Gloss.

    frederick, Feb 22, 2006

  3. hassy_user

    hassy_user Guest

    I supposed I should have elaborated a bit. I've read the Epson
    advertisements, but wanted real world confirmation. I can accept that
    the R1800 should be punchier due to the r/b inks and glossy
    optimization, but wouldn't the extended gray reproduction abilities of
    the R2400 improve color prints on glossy paper? I mean, improved tonal
    range is not something that should be reserved for b/w prints. Can the
    R1800 outperform the R2400 in color printing on glossy media? It is
    not clear from the specs.

    hassy_user, Feb 22, 2006
  4. hassy_user

    rafe b Guest

    The R1800 has these inks:

    C, M, Y, Kp, Km, R, B, GO

    where: Kg = photo black, Km = matte black, GO = gloss Optimizer. R = Red, B
    = Blue

    The R2400 has these inks:

    C, LC, M, LM, Y, (Kp or Km), Kl, Kll

    where LC=light cyan, LM=light magenta, Kl = light black, Kll = light light
    black.

    In the R1800, both blacks (Kp and Km) are permanently
    installed, and the driver automatically uses one or the other
    depending on paper type. (Kp for glossy, Km for matte.)
    So for any given print, on the 1800, there are two black
    carts installed but only one black cart firing.

    In the R2400, you have to choose and manually install
    either a Kp or Km cartridge. But 2400, in any case,
    you always have three black carts installed and three
    black carts firing.

    The Gloss Optimizer is a clear coat that exists only
    on the R1800. Quite clearly, the 1800 is optimized
    for glossy prints, while the 2400 is optimized for BW.
    The R1800 also eliminates the need to choose between
    Photo Black and Matte Black.

    That's not to say you can't print glossy on the 2400,
    or matte on the 1800. It's simply what the printers
    are optimized for.

    rafe b
    www.terrapinphoto.com

    rafe b, Feb 22, 2006
  5. hassy_user

    frederick Guest

    The R2400 uses light magenta and light cyan to supplement photo CMY, so
    tonality would be improved by that fact - but this is offset somewhat by
    the larger (3pl vs 1.5pl) minimum droplet size, so it is not that
    simple. The 2400 uses more ink - as it takes more CMY & light/photo C&M
    to achieve a particular colour than CMY & (full strength) red and blue.
    There are preferences expressed, much of it subjective, and averaging
    out opinion the 2400 probably has better tonality, the 1800 strong
    primary colours. The 2400 has vastly improved gloss differential and
    bronzing over the 2200, the R1800 has eliminated it for all practical
    purposes. (I would have said totally eliminated it, but if I hold a
    print at a very extreme acute angle, then I can see some bronzing - but
    it is not something than would ever be noticed in normal circumstances.
    The 2400 has a setting to reduce gloss differential further by
    automatically applying a very slight light light grey to white areas of
    a print (this can be disabled).

    Either are a vast improvement over a 2200. The advantage of the grey
    inks is more to do with elimination of colour casts and metamerism in
    B&W. This becomes even more problematical on media where the printer
    profiles aren't absolutely spot on. On matte media, B&W performance of
    the R2400 is in a different league, and the wider gamut for colour may
    be an advantage, as gamut on matte papers is already lower than for
    gloss. That said, pretty good B&W can be churned out on an R1800 on
    Epson Premium Gloss/semi papers with the canned profiles.

    If you are prepared to wait, then Canon have just released an A3 Pigment
    printer Pixma Pro 9500. This uses 10 colours (eliminating the matte /
    photo black cartridge change of the R2400). This is very interesting -
    although given the inherent problem of head clogging with pigment inks,
    something that Epson seem to have now solved - at the expense of using /
    wasting ink for priming / auto head cleaning, it would be a brave person
    to be an early adopter of the new Canon printer. If the new Canon
    printers have user-replaceable heads that are not outrageously
    expensive, then it opens the possiblity of using third party CIS on a
    pigment printer with non-OEM inks, with less risk that this will result
    in effectively destroying the entire printer.

    frederick, Feb 22, 2006
  6. I have the R800, the narrow-carriage version of the same printer.

    When used with Epson glossy paper and with the glossy overcoat, it
    produces superbly glossy prints, much better than the 2200. The 2400
    is I believe better than the 2200 (and it's not "R2400", it's just
    "2400").

    The differences between the R800 and R1800, and the pro-series color
    pigment printers like the 2400, is interesting. The pro-series have
    the half-black ink. The "R" printers have the red and blue inks, but
    NOT the half-cyan and half-magenta. So there *must* be some
    differences in gamut (probably not really huge) and perhaps some
    differences in ability to represent certain colors exactly. And the
    differences probably favor one printer or the other depending on the
    exact color. It's pretty weird really.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Feb 22, 2006
  7. Oops! I see they named the printer strangely when I wasn't looking,
    and you're quite right it *is* the R2400; despite using the pro-grade
    K3 ink set instead of the other ink set the R800 and R1800 use.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Feb 22, 2006
  8. hassy_user

    hassy_user Guest

    hassy_user, Feb 23, 2006