    FWIW PC Magazine (may 4 ed.) gave the R200 a very short writeup and
    liked it but said the for photorealistic prints they said it was not
    short of top-quality. No supporting details.

    Al Dykes, May 1, 2004

  2. Al Dykes

    Clyde Guest

    My R800 is pretty new, but the software thinks the cartridges are full.
    I've only printed about 10 full page pictures, but they don't seem to be
    going down very fast at all.

    One of the big difference is that the R200/R300 uses dye based ink and
    the R800 uses pigment based ink. The pigment will last significantly
    longer without fading. However, it's as glossy. That's why one of those
    "colors" is a clear Gloss Enhancer. It help with a gloss finish, but
    doesn't get as glossy as the dye inks on glossy paper. The pigment inks
    are also more water resistant, although that usually isn't much of a
    problem for the dye inks either.

    The other ink colors are different too. The R200/R300 uses the standard
    light cyan and light magenta as the 5th and 6th colors. That does work
    very well for photo printing. Epson changed things with the R800. Gone
    are the light color and they added Blue and Red. Since the ink dots are
    smaller, the idea is that very small dots of blue and red will give you
    more color options.

    The R800 also uses 2 blacks. One is Photo Black. This seems to be the
    standard one and also gives the best gloss. The other is Matte Black.
    That is for printing on matte paper. It really does make a difference.
    The blacks on matte paper is a nice, rich, deep black. If you print on
    matte paper a lot, this might be enough of a feature to swing you to the
    R800.

    How much of a difference does it make? I used to print on an Epson 870
    that is a 6 color dye ink printer like the R300. It makes very good
    photo quality images. The R800 adds a subtle richness and detail that I
    never got on the 870. From 5 feet away on the wall, you won't notice the
    difference at all. Holding a 8x10 in your hand, at normal distances, you
    will notice the difference. Frankly, it's very nice.

    My recommendation is, if you can afford it, go for the R800. You won't
    be sorry.

    Clyde

    Clyde, May 1, 2004

  3. Al Dykes

    Rick Guest

    Ditto everything Clyde said. We've been amazed by the R800's
    quality. The Gloss Enhancer completely eliminates the bronzing
    effect on blacks and near blacks.

    Rick

    Rick, May 1, 2004
  4. Al Dykes

    leo Guest

    When will there be a wide format of the RX800?

    leo, May 2, 2004
  5. Al Dykes

    Clyde Guest

    My guess is the next version of the 2200 (2100 outside the USA) will
    probably use the same ink colors. To some extent the R800 is the narrow
    paper version of the 2200 already. The ink colors are just updated.

    Then again, I don't really know.

    Clyde

    Clyde, May 2, 2004
  6. Al Dykes

    stan Guest

    I don't know anything about the R800, but I bought an R200 a few days ago.
    The method to print on CDs is a bit clunky, but it works. I tried printing
    out some images from my Digital Rebel after modifying them in Photoshop
    and the results are fantastic. I printed the photos on Epson matte
    heavyweight paper at the highest quality setting.

    stan, May 6, 2004
  7. Al Dykes

    Steven Wandy Guest

    The R800 uses the PIGMENTED inks. Similar to the ones used in the 2200/4000
    series printer. This was their first attempt as making a consumer level
    printer that uses these inks. The R200/300 uses the DYE based inksets that
    all the other Epson Stylus Photo printers use.

    Steven Wandy, May 6, 2004
  8. Al Dykes

    Warren Jones Guest

    Any comments/observations on the "weak" reds that one reviewer found with
    the R800? Thanks,
    Warren

    Warren Jones, May 14, 2004
  9. Al Dykes

    Steven Wandy Guest

    Where was this review? All the ones I have read have loved the printer. I
    have had it for about 3 weeks or so and am VERY impressed with the output.

    Steven Wandy, May 14, 2004
  10. Al Dykes

    Rick Guest

    Likewise. No trace of weak reds here.

    Rick

    Rick, May 14, 2004
  11. Al Dykes

    Clyde Guest

    I haven't noticed any "weak reds" at all.

    Clyde

    Clyde, May 15, 2004