    replacing my Stylus Color 740 with one.

    TIA

    Jerry

    Jerry, Jan 28, 2005

  2. Jerry

    Matt L Guest

    Then look them up:
    http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search?hl=en

    Matt L, Jan 28, 2005

  3. Jerry

    Old Dad Guest

    | > HI!
    | >
    | > Does anyone in this group have any experience with the Epson Photo R800
    | > printer?
    |
    | Yes.
    |
    | > I would appreciate any comments as I am seriously thinking about
    | > replacing my Stylus Color 740 with one.
    |
    | Then look them up:
    | http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search?hl=en

    He was looking for opinions, jerk, not your crap.

    Old Dad, Jan 28, 2005
  4. Jerry

    Ben Cramer Guest

    Hi Jerry

    I have had one for 4 months now and am extremely pleased with the output
    from this printer.

    Now on my 4th set of ink cartridges and have printed some absolutely
    gorgeous landscapes. Getting close to gallery quality prints when using the
    Epson Premium Glossy paper.

    Ben

    Ben Cramer, Jan 28, 2005
  5. Tell the type of printing you plan to do, and have you also looked at
    the R300. One is pigmented inks, the other uses dyes for colorant.

    There's also comp.perhiphs.printers.

    John McWilliams, Jan 29, 2005
  6. Jerry

    Ryadia Guest

    Pit about the cost of inks.
    I used to have a few Epson printers. Nothing wrong with their output, just
    the running costs. Since I got rid of them and went to HP, I haven't looked
    back and I think I almost have enough cash from the cost of ink savings for
    a weekend away now. I'd rather spend it on decadence than Epson!

    Doug

    Ryadia, Jan 29, 2005
  7. Jerry

    C J Campbell Guest

    I have had mine since about May. The output is nothing short of incredible,
    but the ink is also incredibly expensive. Nevertheless, I would not hesitate
    to get one again. The only thing I use it for is to print photos. I do wish
    it had a cutter for roll paper. The output on Epson Luster is very nice.

    One thing about printable CDs or DVDs. Don't bother. They are way to
    expensive. I just stick blank labels on the non-printable ones and run them
    through the Epson as if they were printable.

    I leave it on all the time. This saves me from using gobs of ink on
    start-up. It gives you plenty of warning, but if it runs out of ink in the
    middle of printing it just stops and lets you put in a new cartridge. I have
    never been able to see any sign of where it paused on the print.

    C J Campbell, Jan 29, 2005
  8. Well, yes. There's one in the living room upstairs still in its
    original shipping box (it arrived this afternoon).

    Ask again in a week, and I imagine I'll have *more* experience :).

    IMHO the choice is between the R800, the 2200, and the 4000. The big
    differences are in size of print (and of course in price).

    David Dyer-Bennet, Jan 29, 2005
  9. I have had mine for about two months now. Using it mainly for B&W and color
    photos. Print quality is very, very good. Actually, I think I will not be
    needing a darkroom anymore...
    Ink is a bit expensive, that is true but in my mind the results are well
    worth the expenses.

    Väinö Louekari

    Väinö Louekari, Jan 29, 2005
  10. Jerry

    George Guest

    Personally, I'd eliminate the R300 from consideration (too much like the
    R200
    for twice the price). I got the R200 just to print on CDs and DVDs and it
    does
    a very nice job. If I'd wanted it to do photographs too, I'd have gotten
    the R800
    because it is noticeably better in overall print quality. (Doesn't it also
    use the
    smudge-resistant inks?) Also, hasn't the R300 been replaced? I think I saw
    either
    an R320 or R330 in the stores.

    George, Jan 29, 2005
  11. Jerry

    George Guest

    Very ironically, in spite of the higher ink costs on the Epson, you are
    stuck with
    the same print head until you pay to have it replaced. On HP, you get a new
    one
    with each cartridge. (It just cost me $60 at Costco for ink for my $100
    Epson that
    came with ink.)

    George, Jan 29, 2005
  12. Jerry

    George Guest

    I've been getting them when they go on sale (check techbargains.com to see
    who has them on sale) and have been paying less than 0.30 each for printable
    DVD-Rs. I think that is pretty cheap and is certainly cheaper than having a
    label peel off inside your drive and screw things up...EVEN if you can just
    fool
    around with the drive for half an hour and get it working again who wants to
    work for 0.60 an hour?

    George, Jan 29, 2005
  13. Jerry

    George Guest

    And IF you're considering the 2200 (which IS nice), you'd probably better be
    considering the Canon i9900 which is $200 less, has cheaper ink costs, AND
    has even nicer output. Isn't competition great? Now, if Canon would just
    bring
    their i9950 (South Pacific, Asia, Europe sales only) to the U.S.

    George, Jan 29, 2005
  14. Jerry

    Matt Austern Guest

    I have an older Epson printer (the Stylus Photo 780). Is there any
    reason why I would want to replace it with one of these newer ones?

    Matt Austern, Jan 29, 2005
  15. Jerry

    rafe bustin Guest

    Only the following:

    1: R800: red and blue inks for wider gamut,
    gloss optimizer, pigment inks for longevity
    2: 2200: pigment inks, 13" wide, standard
    CMYKcm (six color) ink set.
    3: 4000: pigment inks, 17" wide, seven
    color inkset (CMYKcm with two types of
    black ink.)

    rafe b.
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com

    rafe bustin, Jan 29, 2005
  16. Jerry

    Matt L Guest

    And 1.5-picoliter drop size (invisible grain, down to a 10x
    loupe).

    Matt L, Jan 29, 2005
  17. Really. Flipping amazing. Feed it a quality 645 scan for really flipping
    amazing.

    And there's a Super-A3 version out in Japan already.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Jan 29, 2005
  18. and Matt Black as well as Black.

    "Americans have plenty of everything and the best of nothing."

    John C. Keats
    American Writer
    1924-2000

    John A. Stovall, Jan 29, 2005
  19. Jerry

    Ryadia Guest

    Super A3 what? David.

    Doug

    Ryadia, Jan 30, 2005
  20. I'm not as happy with the archival properties of the Canon photo
    printers.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Jan 30, 2005