Epson Photo R200 printer: One Black ink Cart. for Everything ?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Robert11, Oct 3, 2005.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hello:

    Trying to advise friends who know very little about printers, and don't live
    in area.
    Not that I know much more.

    Anyway, regarding the Epson Photo R200 printer:

    Does this printer have a separate black cartridge for just printing b&w
    regular letters and drafts, and
    a separate one for the blacks required for photo printing ?

    Looked at their site, but not that clear regarding this; seems to imply just
    one ?

    Or, is it that one black cartridge does everything ?

    If so, is this a "bad" feature as regards printing costs ?

    (my old Canon photo printer had two black cartridges I believe, one for each
    function)

    Thanks,
    B.

    Robert11, Oct 3, 2005

  2. Robert11

    Larry Lynch Guest

    The R200, R210 ect, have a black (Photo-black) cartridge, and if you
    want to print text documents it is NOT the printer to buy, it is a Photo
    printer, NOT a document printer.

    Yes, Epson says it will print documents as well as photos, (and it will)
    what they dont tell you is the cost of using it as a document printer is
    VERY high,even if you re-fill your own cartridges, its a lousy way to
    print documents other than photos.

    Even a CHEAP laser printer which needs replacement of the entire print
    assembly to refill is cheaper to run than most ink jet photo printers
    when printing text documents.

    There just isnt any free ride.

    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

    Larry Lynch, Oct 3, 2005

  3. Robert11

    Eatmorepies Guest

    It has one black cartridge. Also one each of yellow, cyan, light cyan,
    magenta and light magenta.

    It can be used for B&W phot printing, there are two ways. (1) Allow it to
    make black and grey tones using all of the colours. This can be successful
    but you generally get metamerism (different colours in different lights).
    (2) You can make it use only it's black cartridge by specifying heavy matte
    paper and ticking 'black only' in the advanced section.

    Regarding (1) I have found less metamerism using Print-Rite cartridges
    rather than Epson originals. Sometimes the not really black tones add
    atmosphere to the photo.

    Also - the printer is quite fast and produces excellent photos.

    John

    Eatmorepies, Oct 3, 2005
  4. Not if it's like the R300. There are six cartridges: black, cyan, light
    cyan, magenta, lighter magenta, and yellow. (Might not be the right
    names for the light cyan, magenta, and lighter magenta.)
    Black cartridges are about $3 cheaper than color; I replace black more
    frequently than the colors.

    HTH.

    Melba's Jammin', Oct 3, 2005
  5. Robert11

    Conrad Guest

    Hi,

    Some folks have used the R200 and R300 Epson inkjet printers as
    dedicated Black and White printers.

    I have an R300 and use Media Street's B&W series of inks (6 carts+
    extra black). Cold dark gray, Cold lite gray, Warm dark gray, Warm lite
    gray, a Surface optimizer, and one black (either matte or photo black).

    Best,

    Conrad

    Conrad, Oct 4, 2005