    I am a low volume printer so I bought a consumer grade printer. It does
    a good job. When I bought it, after all the sales promotions, I paid less
    for the printer with ink than I could be replacement ink for the same day.

    Joseph Meehan, Apr 11, 2005

  2. Joseph Meehan

    birdman Guest

    It seems like Epson ink prices are linked to the cost of gasoline.
    Third party inks can often lead to head clogging and do not necessarily have
    the same color gamut. There are bulk fed systems but it is a big investment
    if it turns out not to one's liking.
    Pantone manufactures special cartridges for the Espon 1280 that cost twice
    as much as Epson ink.
    There are many outlets on the web that sell Asian branded but still Epson
    manufactured cartridges at a substantial discount. Unfortunately there are
    scoundrels out there advertising low prices but are scam artists.
    Unfortunately I am a moderately high volume printer who has tuned everything
    to color managed output on a 1280. Not only are the inks overpriced but the
    simple resin /varnished hi gloss papers cost as much or more than actual
    color photo paper.

    birdman, Apr 11, 2005

  3. Joseph Meehan

    measekite Guest

    Those are reasons to buy a Canon Printer.

    measekite, Apr 11, 2005
  4. Joseph Meehan

    B&B Musmon Guest

    I think I am on my 6th Epson Photo printer. Epson seems to get
    greeder and greeder. These carts are faily small and quite expensive
    and even if you printing black it doesn't let you go any further
    unless you have all carts ready to print. I am really getting to
    dislike this company.

    Ok, after that editoral, my real question is short of re inking. I
    have done some of that the past and it isn't totally out of the
    picture, but would rather not. What is an economical way of getting
    good quality and long lasting prints. Has anyone found a good source
    of real Epson Carts that won't kill you? Have you found a good 3rd
    party cart that works well?

    Thanks
    Barry

    B&B Musmon, Apr 11, 2005
  5. On a 2200, at least, there's something like another 30% usable ink in
    the cartridge after it reads "empty"; a chip-resetter lets you get at
    that ink. Of course, if you get sloppy, it also lets you run the
    nozzles dry and potentially damage them.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Apr 11, 2005
  6. Joseph Meehan

    bugman0 Guest

    bugman0, Apr 11, 2005
  7. Joseph Meehan

    Tony Guest

    Spend the money on the printer or spend it on the ink. I bought an Epson
    3000 6 years ago and buy individual colour carts for it. The shortest time
    any cart has ever lasted is 7 months. The printer cost me about 1,200
    dollars. Ink over the years has probably added about another 1,100-1500. The
    largest prints I make are on 16.5x24 inch paper, although the machine can do
    longer (I think).
    I know people who have bought 200 dollar Epson printers and spent that
    much again in inks every couple months. And they can't print larger than
    8x10.
    I will be replacing the 3000 soon with a 4000. More ink carts but still
    with only one colour per cart, and still capable of 17 inch wide prints.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony, Apr 11, 2005
  8. Try www.ink4art.com

    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Apr 11, 2005
  9. Joseph Meehan

    John Guest

    Who says Canon is cheap , their carts are over priced also.

    John, Apr 11, 2005
  10. Joseph Meehan

    B&B Musmon Guest

    I can't tell is this an endorsement. You have used them for a R200
    compatible and they have acceptable color and longevity?

    B&B Musmon, Apr 12, 2005
  11. Joseph Meehan

    retsoppot Guest

    retsoppot, Apr 13, 2005
  12. Joseph Meehan

    Stewy Guest

    Epson seems to practice the idea of pricing ink for what the market will
    stand. They sell printers cheaply in the expectation of making profit
    forever more on ink carts. In the UK a standard Epson cart for their 7
    colour printer costs around £10, perhaps as cheap as £8. Here in Japan,
    carts are rarely more than 1000 yen - £5 and generic inks for Epson are
    cheaper than this - £4 or less. However while the carts are identical in
    size and shape, Japanese Epson carts cannot be used in UK Epson printers
    as the small control chip firmware is different (the chips themselves
    look the same). The Epson software driver will not allow the printer to
    operate if a cart is either refilled of replaced with a non-UK cart. the
    only way to use Japanese carts is to buy the printer in Japan and use
    the Japanese driver.

    Because of these *dirty tricks* I'd recommend avoiding Epson in future
    and concentrate on the only other mass manufacturer - Canon. Canon and
    Epson control 85% of the printer and scanner market in Japan.

    Stewy, Apr 14, 2005
  13. Joseph Meehan

    On Film Guest

    [Commentary] Don't you just love a global free-market economy that
    allows economic discrimination against developed countries? However,
    if the US or UK makes any restriction, that is very, very baaaaad!

    Mike

    On Film, Apr 14, 2005
  14. Joseph Meehan

    Mark² Guest

    Get an Epson 4000.

    Each ink cartridge holds more ink all colors combined in a normal color
    cartridge (with multiple colors) for the 2200, etc.
    The 4000 printer ships with about $600 worth of ink, and the printer itself
    is selling for $1500 right now (after $300 rebate). This is a wide format
    (17") UltraChrome pigment ink printer that is in a different league from any
    of the printers discussed here with regularity (Canon, Epson 2200, HP,
    etc.).

    If you use the even BIGGER cartridges that were designed for the massive
    Epson 7600, 9600 and 10600 printers (which work perfectly in the 4000), the
    cost of ink is less than one SEVENTH of what it costs 2200 owners for the
    same amount of printing.

    I made literally hundreds of prints with just the ink that shipped with the
    printer. While most of these prints were smallish...a number of them were
    17"x41" panoramas (using the roll feeder that comes with the printer).
    The printer is extremely smart...with an automatic (or manual) paper cutter,
    automatic head alignment and nozzle checks, and is built like a piece of
    industrial machinery.

    -Mark

    Mark², Apr 15, 2005
  15. Joseph Meehan

    Mark² Guest

    Hi Tony,

    I love my 4000 and recommend it highly...but...
    -The one area that has been tricky with the 4000 is getting truly neutral
    black&white prints.
    I believe you do a lot of B&W, so thought I'd mention it.
    I'm still improving, but it's tricky with the UltraChrome inks.

    -Mark

    PS--Perhaps you've got this mastered already...If so...I'm all ears.

    Mark², Apr 15, 2005
  16. Joseph Meehan

    Bill Hilton Guest

    Mark M writes
    Is this with the RIP you bought, or with the Epson profiles?

    Just curious ...

    Bill Hilton, Apr 15, 2005
  17. Joseph Meehan

    paul Guest

    paul, Apr 15, 2005
  18. Joseph Meehan

    rafe bustin Guest

    Or get one of the HP DesignJets -- 30, 90, 130.
    Or any Pro Epson, like Barry says.
    If you need to buy ink for either, you can
    do worse than Atlex and Lexjet.

    There are lots of reputable 3rd party inks
    for Epsons, not so (or less so) for the
    HP DesignJets.

    rafe b.
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com

    rafe bustin, Apr 15, 2005
  19. Joseph Meehan

    paul Guest

    Wow, a full set of 8 of the extra-large cartridges costs $900. The
    luminous-landscape review update says the price is not that much less
    per liter of ink, not even half cost though it may waste less with
    cleaning cycles they aren't clear.

    paul, Apr 15, 2005
  20. Joseph Meehan

    Stacey Guest

    Yep I use a "zapper" on my C84 I use for general printing and get 2X+ the
    life from them, especially the color ones. I print mostly in "draft" mode,
    mostly text and it wants to replace the color inks when they are still
    almost full!

    I know I'll never buy another epson that has this "feature" again.

    Stacey, Apr 15, 2005