    ink cartridges (S020110) out there at very low prices. Could someone inform
    me on their experiences with these.

    Thanks

    Ron Marino, Aug 2, 2003

  2. In most cases, they are made by the same people who make compatible
    cartridges for HP printers. There is an extra risk for Epson printers than
    for HP printers, where the printhead is part of cartridge. If the ink clogs
    an Epson printer, you have a bigger problem than with an HP printer.

    The question is the importance to you of the savings in ink costs vs. the
    risk of damaging the printer and getting less durable prints. It isn't
    worth it to me. I do save money on photo paper, for prints that probably
    won't be missed if they fade.

    I would definitely not use thrid party cartridges while the printer is still
    under warrantee.

    Marvin Margoshes, Aug 2, 2003

  3. Ron Marino

    cathy Guest

    I can't speak about the 700, but I have an Epson C80, and the generic
    ink is hideous. I put in a generic cartridge of magenta while the
    other three (cyan, yellow and black) were Epson ink and the results
    were awful. All the prints looked like they'd been washed in magenta,
    and the heads clogged almost immediately. Awful lines across all the
    prints that no amount of head cleaning could do away with. It got even
    worse when I put in a generic black cartridge.

    I gave up and went back to all Epson cartridges and the problems
    cleared up instananeously. Literally. Now, I don't know how it would
    have been with all generic cartridges in the printer, but with those
    kind of results I didn't want to find out.

    Cathy

    cathy, Aug 2, 2003
  4. Ron Marino

    Chris Watts Guest

    In the UK I had a very bad experience with own-brand compatibles from PC
    World for the Epson Color Stylus 440 - clogged the jets and took a lot of
    time/trouble/money to clear them. These were PC World's own-brand
    compatibles and I would never buy them (or indeed, for other reasons, any
    other product from them) again.

    Chris Watts

    Chris Watts, Aug 3, 2003

  5. JET TEC is a good UK brand, sold here by Xerox..

    Greg Townsend, Aug 3, 2003