    a print are halftoning. There's no point generating detail finer than
    720 ppi.

    Andrew.

    andrew29, Feb 14, 2005

  2. The R800 doesn't have light black, light cyan, or light magenta
    either. With the ultra-small droplet size, it doesn't need them. So
    they used the available space in the carriage to add the red and blue
    cartridges to extend the gamut.
    The 1800 will have a wider gamut than the 4000, just as the R800
    does.

    (By the way, you guys can all thank me; I'm sure the 1800 announcement
    happened when it did because I'd finally broken down and bought an
    R800.)

    David Dyer-Bennet, Feb 15, 2005

  3. deryck  lant

    C Wright Guest

    You are not the only one the group needs to thank! I just bought a Canon
    i9900 but would have *strongly* considered the Epson 1800 had it been
    available!
    Chuck

    C Wright, Feb 15, 2005
  4. deryck  lant

    Mark² Guest

    Ah, that's OK.
    I am extremely happy with the larger 4000.
    With the light cyan, light magenta, and light black, the smaller droplet size/fewer color
    comparison is really a non-factor.
    The supposed gamut difference remains to be seen...
    It sounds like a good idea though.
    I hope it is a significant change, and that people are thrilled with the results.

    Meanwhile, I'm finding the 4000 to truly be in it's own league in every regard--not only
    in terms of it's superb output quality and speed, but especially in terms of intelligent,
    trouble-free operation and up-keep. Truly an amazing machine.

    To those who may be interested...
    The 4000 come with the equivalent of HUNDREDS of dollars worth of ink, when you consider
    how much a similar quantity of usable ink would cost if printing on the 2200, R800, or any
    other smaller printer--Epson or otherwise. And... Right now (through Feb 28) Epson is
    offering $300 worth of media rolls with the 4000. This, along with the huge included ink
    quantity really brings it's comparative price DOWN. It may seem expensive at $1799, but
    it becomes significantly cheaper very very quickly.
    -Not to mention that it cuts paper automatically (or to your specification), aligns,
    cleans, monitors istself... and NEVER clogs!
    :)
    Add to this that you can print 17 inches wide...as long as you want...and it's darn near
    perfect.
    Many folks might be surprised just what a difference 4 more inches of width can make in
    terms of imaging possibilities. 16x20s are a breeze, with room to spare. :) Heck, the
    **paper tray** accepts anything up to 17x22".
    -Mark

    Mark², Feb 16, 2005
  5. deryck  lant

    deryck lant Guest

    The message <[email protected]>
    from "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> contains these
    words:

    Don't forget you use exactly one third of your initial ink supply in
    priming the printer
    on initial setup. A couple of hundred dollars worth at UK prices.. Then
    there is regular
    automatic head cleaning. If you don't use the printer frequently a lot
    of ink is still
    wasted.

    http://www.photo-i.co.uk/

    Deryck

    deryck lant, Feb 16, 2005
  6. deryck  lant

    Mark² Guest

    Still, you are gaining hundreds of dollars in ink--even after priming.
    As to the regular head cleaning... I have yet to hear it do this when I'm not printing
    something. I leave the power on...and it sits silently and motionless for days.

    Mark², Feb 16, 2005