Epson announce R1800 A3 UltraChrome printer

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by deryck lant, Feb 11, 2005.

  1. deryck  lant

    deryck lant Guest

    deryck lant, Feb 11, 2005

  2. Charles Hohenstein, Feb 11, 2005

  3. deryck  lant

    tangwong Guest

    Looks like it is intended to compete with the Canon i990.

    tangwong, Feb 11, 2005
  4. deryck  lant

    Tom Scales Guest

    Wouldn't it replace the 2100/2200?

    Tom Scales, Feb 11, 2005
  5. deryck  lant

    deryck lant Guest

    The message <MA3Pd.4554$>
    Logically. I am expecting HP to release a new printer at PMA
    using Red/Blue inks.

    Deryck

    deryck lant, Feb 11, 2005
  6. That's exactly what I wondered.

    Charles Hohenstein

    Charles Hohenstein, Feb 11, 2005
  7. deryck  lant

    deryck lant Guest

    deryck lant, Feb 11, 2005
  8. deryck  lant

    Steven Wandy Guest

    Wouldn't it replace the 2100/2200?
    Yes, because a lot of people (from what I have read) were very disappointed
    that
    the 4000 (not sure of number) did not use the ink system developed for the
    R800 (which
    I have and LOVE).

    Steven Wandy, Feb 11, 2005
  9. deryck  lant

    rafe bustin Guest

    The Epson 4000 replaced the ancient 3000.

    It's a scaled down version of the 7600,
    with two black carts. It prints 17" wide,
    as opposed to 13" on the 2200/1280/1800.

    The 4000 is part of Epson's professional
    printer lineup, the 2200/1280/1800 are
    desktop machines.

    rafe b.
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com

    rafe bustin, Feb 12, 2005
  10. deryck  lant

    Mark² Guest

    Huh?

    The 4000 uses the same huge ultra chrome cartidges as the 7600, 9600.
    It is in an different league from any of the desktop printers.

    Mark², Feb 12, 2005
  11. deryck  lant

    rafe bustin Guest

    For sure, but it lacks the two new primaries
    and the 1.5 picoliter droplets.

    So these two printers serve very different
    markets, and in no way compete with each
    other.

    The 4000 makes substantially larger prints,
    often on fine art paper, and serves a
    professional market. The larger droplets
    are no problem there.

    Prints from the R1800 will be viewed at
    closer range, so its smaller dots are
    appreciated. I imagine in time there
    will be a pro Epson with something like
    the R800/R1800 inkset -- but in 110 or
    220 ml carts.

    rafe b.
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com

    rafe bustin, Feb 12, 2005
  12. deryck  lant

    Mark² Guest

    The web-site was unclear regarding ink cartridges.
    Is this a 10 cartridge printer? -With 8 color plus two black?
    Perhaps an 11 cartridge printer (with the gloss optimizer)??
    It seemed to imply a new red and blue, but also refers to 8-color...

    Mark², Feb 12, 2005
  13. deryck  lant

    Jimmy Guest

    The inkset is the same as the R800's:

    Matte Black
    Photo Black
    Gloss Optimizer
    Yellow
    Cyan
    Blue
    Magenta
    Red

    Jimmy, Feb 12, 2005
  14. deryck  lant

    rafe bustin Guest

    My guess is it's just the R800 with
    a wider carriage.

    I misspoke about the 4000 earlier.
    It has three black carts not two.

    rafe b.
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com

    rafe bustin, Feb 12, 2005
  15. deryck  lant

    Bill Tuthill Guest

    Do you know if the R800 and R1800 ink cartridges are cross-compatible?

    Bill Tuthill, Feb 12, 2005
  16. deryck  lant

    Jimmy Guest

    No idea yet, since the printer has been announced but not released.
    My guess is, the two will have compatible cartridges, for reasons
    stated by others in this thread (the R1800 is a desktop printer).

    Jimmy, Feb 12, 2005
  17. deryck  lant

    Mark² Guest

    The 4000 has photo black (for glossy), light black, and matte black...yes.
    It appears that the ink-set for the 1800 does not have a light black, nor does it have
    light cyan or light magenta.
    I guess they're using "red" and "blue" instead of light cyan and light magenta (??).
    In any case...It doesn't appear to have anything particularly strange, save for the glossy
    finisher.

    This means that the 1800 is essentially a 6 color printer (with two black options--one or
    the other, plus the finisher).
    The 4000 is a 7 color printer, plus the alternate black (matte or glossy)...but no glossy
    finisher.

    Mark², Feb 13, 2005
  18. deryck  lant

    andrew29 Guest

    No, that's not what happens. The red and blue extend the gamut a
    little bit, and that's all they're used for. The light cyan, light
    magenta, and light black (sic) supposedly aren't necessary any more
    because the smaller droplets allow for fine halftoning.
    That's right.

    Andrew.

    andrew29, Feb 13, 2005
  19. deryck  lant

    Mark² Guest

    Ah. That makes sense.
    It would seem that the larger 3.5 picoliter of the 4000 is basically made-up-for by the
    light cyan and light magenta then. Perhaps it's a wash...(?). Perhaps not for tiny
    detail...though I must say that it's hard for me to imagine smaller detail than what I can
    get from my Epson 4000 at it's highest setting.

    I suspect the the 1.5 picoliter plus is more about half-toning (as you say) than it is
    about fine detail. I question paper's ability to take advantage of 1.5 picoliter size
    drops for detail alone... Maybe someone else has definitive info about that. -I'm just
    curious, really. I am wildly happy with the 4000, but if they can best it...more power to
    them.
    :)
    -Mark

    Mark², Feb 13, 2005
  20. deryck  lant

    rafe bustin Guest

    The 4000 makes large prints that are likely
    to be viewed from a larger distance than those
    from the R800 and R1800.

    The 4000's dots are 3.5 pl versus 1.5 pl in
    the R800/R1800. Both of these are quite small,
    and the difference will only be apparent
    with the sharpest of eyes on the glossiest
    of paper surfaces, viewed at very close range.

    As the dot size decreases the need for the
    "light" colors (lc, lm) goes diminishes.

    rafe b.
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com

    rafe bustin, Feb 13, 2005