Epson admits that using their tanks will void your warranty!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Miss Perspicacia Tick, May 10, 2005.

  1. Just spoken to Epson TS because I believe the red nozzle in the printhead is
    dead.

    Epson: - Welcome to Epson's eTalk. My name is X. How may I help you?
    Me: - I have an R800 and I believe the red nozzle is dead. I've wasted two
    sets of tanks cleaning
    Epson: - What make of cartridges are you using?
    Me: - OEM
    Epson: - You should always use genuine Epson. The use of OEM cartridges will
    void your warranty.

    By this point I was pissing myself. OK, I was annoyed about my printer, but
    an OEM that doesn't know what OEM stands for? This was too much...

    Me: - You do know what OEM stands for, don't you?
    Epson: - The only OEM I know is non-Epson.

    I did a quick scan of printer companies to see if I could unearth one using
    the initials OEM. I couldn't.

    Me: - OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer. How can that be
    anything other than genuine Epson?
    Epson: - No it doesn't. OEM cartridges aren't genuine Epson.
    Me: - What are they then? Name me a manufacturer of OEM cartridges.
    Epson: - /silence/
    Me: - Well?
    Epson: - JetTec. Many people use JetTec.
    Me: - That's a third party manufacturer
    Epson: - No they're OEM
    Me: - No, they're third-party

    He started getting snotty at this point insisting that I didn't know
    anything. I terminated the conversation. I'm going to call them tomorrow,
    and see if I get someone who does know the correct meaning of OEM.

    Miss Perspicacia Tick, May 10, 2005

  2. OEM does *not* signify that it has to be the company that made the
    printer. The Original isn't a reference to the printer, it's a reference
    to who made the cartridge. So in this case, even though the tech may
    have been somewhat dense, they were correct. The opposite of OEM is VAR
    or value added reseller. A VAR could take a JetTec cartridge and put
    Bud's Ink brand on it and resell it.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 10, 2005

  3. Miss Perspicacia Tick

    Keme Guest

    I wanted to laugh. It's a laughing matter.

    Hilarious.

    Serious.

    I have come across quite a few incompetent supportpersons too. When you
    get a number to corporate tech support (so I didn't have to spend an
    hour in the "end user" section) and find that after using their servers
    and OS for a month you know more about it than them, that's somewhat
    rewarding, but mostly scary.

    So I couldn't laugh. It's not a laughing matter. Just sad.

    Keme, May 10, 2005
  4. My WindowsXP Pro is OEM.

    That means that it is a genuine Microsoft product that does not include
    Microsoft support. It is intended to be distributed by Original Equipment
    Manufacturers and is not for sale to the general public. Support for this
    product is the responsibility of the supplier.

    I would expect that this is the context of the phrase 'OEM' taken by the
    Epson tech.

    So you could argue that the Cartridges that were supplied with the printer
    were OEM since they were supplied by the Original Equipment Manufacturer (in
    this case Epson) and, therefore, according to the Epson Tech, invalidated
    your warranty the first time you used the printer.

    I would agree that jettec is a third party manufacturer and not OEM. They do
    not make Epson Printers or Epson Cartridges. They do make Epson Compatible
    Cartridges.

    Michael Doherty, May 10, 2005
  5. Miss Perspicacia Tick

    pcbutts1 Guest

    You guys are just as dense as that Epson tech. If you bought a brand new
    Epson printer it is going to come with an Epson ink cartridge not a Jettec
    or anybody else's.

    "Michael Doherty"

    pcbutts1, May 10, 2005
  6. Miss Perspicacia Tick

    measekite Guest

    In this case it is a VSR a Value Subtracted Reseller.

    measekite, May 10, 2005
  7. Miss Perspicacia Tick

    measekite Guest

    They probably do not mfg anything. They most likely are a repacker and
    relabeler.

    measekite, May 10, 2005
  8. Miss Perspicacia Tick

    Stickems. Guest

    Who made the cartridges that you have been using?

    Stickems., May 10, 2005
  9. Miss Perspicacia Tick

    Brian G Guest

    See this link for a defination of OEM

    http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/O/OEM.html

    Brian G

    Brian G, May 10, 2005
  10. Miss Perspicacia Tick

    old jon Guest

    Quote:
    pronounced as separate letters) Short for original equipment manufacturer,
    which is a misleading term for a company that has a special relationship
    with computer producers. OEMs buy computers in bulk and customize them for a
    particular application. They then sell the customized computer under their
    own name. The term is really a misnomer because OEMs are not the original
    manufacturers -- they are the customizers. End Quote.
    Have you ever heard such f*****g rubbish..J

    old jon, May 10, 2005
  11. Miss Perspicacia Tick

    Keme Guest

    The response was to a hypothetical situation where Epson trusted a third
    party supplier, and delivered their cartridges instead of their own with
    the printers. Those cartridges would fall into the category "OEM"
    because they're supplied by the manufacturer, the de facto "OEM", as it
    were.

    Keme, May 10, 2005
  12. I agree. Somebody can't understand English.
    Original Equipment Manufacture means that it is
    what was used in the new item. It doesn't make
    any difference if Epson contracted the tanks or
    any other part out to other companies, it is what
    was in the new item.

    The OP error was in getting fancy and saying OEM.
    She should have just said Epson tanks.

    George E. Cawthon, May 10, 2005
  13. Miss Perspicacia Tick

    Kevin Guest

    Miss P,
    Unless I am mistaken, you are in the UK. Have you thought about calling
    Epson Technical Support in the USA? I have never been treated in the manner
    you have and you are perfectly right to be pissed off. I would call Epson
    and insist on speaking with a manager or supervisor and have the text of
    your conversation with the snotty tech you spoke with handy. This is what
    supervisor are for.

    When I called Epson in the US, located in New York as I recall, I was
    treated with respect and my issues were dealt with quickly and fairly. I
    had a problem with my 820 and a supervisor offered to send me a new R200,
    plus a free black cartridge and free shipping with 10% off the website
    price.

    There was no discussion of semantics involving the meaning of OEM or Genuine
    Epson in regards to anything connected with the printer or the cartridges.
    I was simply asked if I was using Epson brand cartridges or not.

    Kevin, May 10, 2005
  14. Miss Perspicacia Tick

    measekite Guest

    The above paragraph made sense.

    measekite, May 10, 2005
  15. Miss Perspicacia Tick

    Roy Guest

    Hi there.

    This sort of thing is becoming more and more common, it is not confined to
    Epson .

    The problem is "Call Centres".

    When you phone any big company nowadays, you get through to one of these
    places. They ask certain questions, and while doing so put the answers into
    the Computer, and depending on the answers another question is asked.

    Just exactly like using the Troubleshooter in Windows.

    And the person you are speaking to, knows as little about the subject, and
    sometimes a lot less than you do.

    So whoever it was would not have clue what O.E. M. meant. The computer would
    not have an explanation of those initials either, so the conversation was
    bound to deteriorate.

    Asking for a supervisor or manager is no help, they are probably only "Call
    Centre" orientated, and know nothing about the product.

    If you think the OP experience is bad, I would suggest that you never try
    phoning the Bank of Scotland (HBOS) or Scottish Gas.

    Roy G

    Roy, May 11, 2005
  16. Miss Perspicacia Tick

    Safetymom123 Guest

    I think that tech is wrong at Epson. I am sure they strongly recommend
    Epson cartridges but it doesn't void the warranty if you use aftermarket
    ink. Call and ask someone else.

    Safetymom123, May 11, 2005
  17. Let's explore the term OEM a little more shall we.

    I have been building and upgrading my own PC's for several years now.
    Whenever I buy a new component I always try to buy an OEM model. So exactly
    what is it that I get? It is not a third party or compatible product, but a
    component built by an original equipment manufacturer, and then sold on via
    a third party distributor.
    Usually the component comes in plain packaging with no manual or "free
    software", other than that it is exactly the same product as the genuine
    resale product.

    I have never purchased an OEM product that was made by a third party
    manufacturer.

    I'll agree that in a lot of cases the Brand name is not the manufacturer,
    but in all cases that I have ever come accross, an OEM product is the same
    product as the genuine product, but packaged for bulk buy rather than
    resale.

    Michael Doherty, May 11, 2005
  18. I believe Epson US's head offices are still located in Torrence
    California, but you got the right country! ;-)

    Art

    Arthur Entlich, May 11, 2005
  19. Miss Perspicacia Tick

    old jon Guest

    This post certainly brought a lot of waffle out, but for most sane people
    the Original Equipment Manufacturer sure means, The Manufacturer who
    Originally made the Equipment. The bulk buyers are just firms who Mod them
    and rebadge them..J

    old jon, May 11, 2005