Epson 2200: Where have all the papers gone?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by gbeb, Mar 12, 2005.

  1. gbeb

    gbeb Guest

    I have a brand new computer with a brand new Epson 2200 printer driver
    (To be sure, I just downloaded and installed it again).

    The Print Settings option in the printer driver has FEWER paper type
    options than my earlier driver. The only ones I now see are:

    - Plain Paper
    - Enhanced Matte Paper
    - Velvet Fine Art Paper
    - Watercolor Radiant White

    My old computer shows these in addition:
    - Premium Luster Photo Paper
    - Premium Semigloss Photo Paper
    - Premium Gloss Photo Paper

    I am printing to a paper which requires one of these missing seetings.
    The colors coming out are way off and I am sure it's the paper setting.

    How do I get the full list of paper options?

    Thank you for your help,

    Gary

    gbeb, Mar 12, 2005

  2. gbeb

    CWatters Guest

    Is it possible your new printer thinks you have a the Matte Black Ink cark
    installed? Perhaps it only offers these papers when the matte cart is
    installed?

    CWatters, Mar 12, 2005

  3. gbeb

    Plasma BOY Guest

    Its a Epson, take your punishment.

    Plasma BOY, Mar 12, 2005
  4. I expect you haven't given the greedy shits enough money.
    Give them more money, probably. Those bandits seem to have discontinued the
    4x6 I use for regular album prints with my 1200, nothing else will line up
    properly in it.

    There is another option, of course; buy something other than an Epson, then
    one also avoids the diagonal text splattering that happens with music
    printing software.

    Matt

    Matthew Nettle, Mar 12, 2005
  5. gbeb

    gbeb Guest

    I don't see why it should think so. I could be printing photographic or
    non-photographic, regardless of paper, no? Is the idea that matte
    blank ink won't print on the other papers? I don't see why.

    (BTW, I do have the matte black ink installed. I hadn't even realized
    they sold different kinds of black inks)

    gbeb, Mar 12, 2005
  6. You may want to print with matte black ink onto glossy or other
    non-matte papers, but Epson doesn't want you to, because then you might
    complain that the print doesn't look as good as it should.

    I'd but the correct black ink tank, but I would also ask how to store a
    partly used tank. If the store personnnel can't advise, try wrapping it
    in cling film and put it the fridge.

    Good luck. Methinks you'll need it. :)

    Wolf Kirchmeir, Mar 12, 2005
  7. gbeb

    Bill Hilton Guest

    The Print Settings option in the printer driver has FEWER paper type

    These are the settings for the matte black ink. If you replace the
    matte black with the photo black ink you'll get the others you are
    complaining about.

    RTFM.

    Bill Hilton, Mar 12, 2005
  8. gbeb

    Bill Hilton Guest

    Is the idea that matte blank ink won't print on the other papers?

    It flakes off the glossy paper, that's why you're supposed to use the
    photo black for those. You can use photo black for all the papers but
    the Dmax isn't that good with the art papers and photo black, which is
    why they give you two choices.

    Bill Hilton, Mar 12, 2005
  9. gbeb

    CWatters Guest

    That was my thought, however he has TWO computers talking to this printer
    and only ONE thinks it's got a Matte cart installed. I can't see a setting
    that forces the printer to assume a matte cart so it's hard to see how this
    situation arrises. Unless...

    Hang on a moment... I wonder if the back channel works over a network? eg If
    you set up a shared printer does the status monitor work on BOTH computers
    or just the one that's directly connected? Perhaps the computer that's
    directly connected is correctly detecting a matte cart and the other one is
    ASSUMING a standard glossy cart because the status monitor doesn't work?
    Just thinking aloud here.

    CWatters, Mar 13, 2005
  10. gbeb

    rafe bustin Guest

    Good point. The Epson Status Monitor generally
    does NOT work over a network. At least that's
    my experience with an Epson 7000.

    rafe b.
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com

    rafe bustin, Mar 13, 2005
  11. gbeb

    gbeb Guest

    I never would have expected the printer/driver combination to be so
    smart. I have some photo black on order.

    Thanks!

    Gary

    gbeb, Mar 13, 2005
  12. Did you recently change the type of black cartridge in the printer?

    I believe the 2200 driver changes paper types depending if you have the
    matte or photo black cartridge in place, since some papers work with one
    and other papers with the other. It seems like you may have the matte
    black ink in use right now.

    Art

    Arthur Entlich, Mar 13, 2005
  13. The inks have different formulations. The matte black ink doesn't work
    well on the glossy and semi-gloss papers, because it is matte, so it
    isn't glossy enough for gloss papers, and would not look very good.

    The photo black ink isn't as dense, but it is more glossy so it looks
    good on glossy output, but is not dense enough for matte finish papers.

    The drivers try to show you which is which, and which papers will work
    in each case.

    Art

    Arthur Entlich, Mar 13, 2005
  14. gbeb

    Hecate Guest

    If you have a network aware printer and use it with the Epson network
    products, you can pout the status monitor on both PCs. If you are
    using a peer-to-peer network only the Status Monitor on the computer
    the printer is attached to works.

    --

    Hecate - The Real One

    veni, vidi, reliqui