    make will be 11x14, is there any reason to buy the 4000 over the 2200?
    The price difference is substantial, so I wonder if there is a
    difference in quality, too, or just output size? Thank you.

    Grady R. Thompson, Dec 3, 2003

  2. Grady R. Thompson

    Rafe B. Guest

    If you do a lot of printing, the 4000 will have lower
    operating costs due to its much larger cartridges.
    (110 or 220 ml.) Cost per page (for ink) will probably
    be about half what you get on the 2200.

    rafe b.
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com

    Rafe B., Dec 3, 2003

  3. Just max print size and capacity of ink cartridges.

    Robert Feinman, Dec 3, 2003
  4. Grady R. Thompson

    Jerry McG Guest

    One other consideration, the 4000 uses 8 ink tanks, with both the photo
    black and matte black installed full time, eliminating the swap routine of
    the 2200, 7600 and 9600. I might buy the 4000 for that feature alone.

    Jerry McG, Dec 3, 2003
  5. Grady R. Thompson

    Tom Monego Guest

    The ability to do 16x20's and the ink cost will be about 1/4 of the 2200.
    Inkjetart.com estimated the ink cost for the 2200 to be $2/sqft and the 4000
    will be $.50/sqft. That is with the 110ml carts the printer will take the
    220ml with which the ink will save you another 20percent. So if you are ding a
    lot of prints, it pays for itself, just get a table that can hold 85lbs.

    Tom

    Tom Monego, Dec 3, 2003
  6. Grady R. Thompson

    Sam Smith Guest

    That feature alone for $1,800 ??????????????

    Sam Smith, Dec 3, 2003
  7. 1. If you're using OS X, every time you switch matte and photo black on
    the 2200, you have to delete and reconfigure the printer in software. If
    you switch a lot and your time is worth a lot, that increases the value
    of the 4000.

    2. You will spend less on ink in the long term with the 4000 compared
    to your 1270, but you will take a breathtaking hit in ink investment,
    particularly if your ink use is relatively low. On the 1270, most people
    kept 1 or 2 spare color carts around, and 1 spare black. Total cost,
    about $45-70 sitting around in spare ink carts.
    The 110 ml carts for the 4000 are about $80 each and the 220s are
    $150 (wildly approximate prices). Just one spare 110 each means
    you've got $650 in spare ink sitting around. If you go for the 220s,
    that's more like $1200 in ink sitting on the shelf at any time.

    Russell Williams
    not speaking for Adobe Systems

    Russell Williams, Dec 4, 2003
  8. Grady R. Thompson

    Matt Guest

    Ink sellers now have high-quality pigment-based inks available in bulk
    for the 2200 carts, so ink cost should not be a problem if you're
    willing to refill. These inks are (as expected) considerably more
    expensive than dye, but it's still a very cheap way to print. As to
    permanence, the tests these manufacturers provide seem to show that
    they hold up even better than Epson's own inks. The chips reset just
    like all the other Epson carts.

    Matt, Dec 4, 2003
  9. Grady R. Thompson

    Sam Smith Guest

    What ink sellers are you referring to?

    Sam Smith, Dec 4, 2003
  10. Grady R. Thompson

    Tom Monego Guest

    Atlantic Exchange has the 110ml carts for $70 and the 220's for $112, still a
    lot of $ on the shelf, but you are printing 8x more prints. One thing about
    large cartridge Ultrachromes, they should be used in 6 months time due to
    settling of the pigments.

    Tom

    Tom Monego, Dec 4, 2003
  11. Grady R. Thompson

    Matt Guest

  12. Grady R. Thompson

    Mark Herring Guest

    2. You will spend less on ink in the long term with the 4000 compared
    Are there any continuous feed systems yet for the 7600 and 4000? It
    seems this would be the answer for the "big guys".

    -Mark
    (e-mail markh, not m_herring)

    Mark Herring, Dec 4, 2003
  13. Grady R. Thompson

    Rafe B. Guest

    Yes, lots of folks have made CIS adaptations for 7600/9600
    series printers, but really -- the standard cart is 110 or 220 ml.
    For most folks, that's already a years' supply, at least.

    rafe b.
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com

    Rafe B., Dec 5, 2003