Epson 2200 B/W Printing

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Helen Bridge, Oct 9, 2003.

  1. Helen Bridge

    Helen Bridge Guest

    I have been using an Epson 2200 for a couple of months and have been
    very happy with it. I have been printing black and white photographs
    almost exclusively and what surprised me was that the first cartridge
    to empty and need replacing was the light magenta. Does this seem
    normal?

    The images I am printing are grayscale and perhaps using all 7 colors
    all of the time is appropriate, it just seemed weird that light
    magenta would empty before all the others. All of the other cartridges
    are at three quarters full except for the light cyan which is also
    getting low.

    I know that I could choose to use "black ink only" as an option in the
    advanced features, but it is my understanding that is for text and
    draft output and not photo quality. I'd appreciate any feedback as to
    the best settings when printing black and white on this printer and
    whether the high usage of light magenta in black and white output
    makes sense.

    Thanks,
    Helen Bridge

    Helen Bridge, Oct 9, 2003

  2. Helen Bridge

    JR Guest

    That is normal....What OS are you using? I have been using the 2200
    with excellent results. I use Quadtone Rip 2.0 for all my B&W printing
    which results in absolutely perfect B&W prints with no color
    shifts...With the Epson driver they always had a green tint....For
    color, the Epson driver works great.

    JR

    JR, Oct 9, 2003

  3. Helen Bridge

    Warren Guest

    Just browsing around I ran into this article (Shutterbug, Nov. 2002)
    regarding B&W printing with the 2200 using black only. While not
    recommended by Epson, setting at 2880 DPI is claimed to result in high
    quality B&W prints. Read this:
    http://www.shutterbug.net/test_reports/1102sb_epson/

    Warren, Dec 5, 2003