    This is correct, right? Dye versus pigments?

    This would be the final deciding factor to go with the 2200...

    Slick

    Dr. Slick, Nov 27, 2003

  2. Dr. Slick

    andrew29 Guest

    2200 prints are not waterproof. They are more water resistant.

    Andrew.

    andrew29, Nov 27, 2003

  3. Dr. Slick

    Ron Andrews Guest

    Thermal prints are waterproof (if you can afford a thermal printer).
    Silver halide prints are essentially waterproof although they require
    re-washing and drying if you get water spots on them. They are also beyond
    the means of most do-it-your-selfers if you are starting with a digital
    image. (Remember enlargers in home darkrooms?) With ink jet prints, none are
    completely waterproof. They type of ink makes a difference. The type of
    media makes a bigger difference (porous media is more prone to water
    damage).

    Ron Andrews, Nov 27, 2003
  4. Dr. Slick

    Mark Herring Guest

    Why are you concerned about waterproof?? Water is not going to be a
    good thing for any of these printers.

    The issue with dye (1280) is fading.

    Also, you can buy a 1280 and then get 3rd party pigment ink
    **************************
    Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
    Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".

    Mark Herring, Nov 27, 2003
  5. Dr. Slick

    Dr. Slick Guest

    Yeah, that's what i meant.

    I mean you can accidentally spittle some saliva
    on a 2200 print and basically wipe it off.

    Whereas the 1280 print would dissolve the ink
    noticably.

    Slick

    Dr. Slick, Nov 27, 2003
  6. Dr. Slick

    Dr. Slick Guest

    Why not be concerned? I mean, sure, the ultimate designation may
    be under glass, but until then, all sorts of accidents can and will
    happen.

    I understand that the 2200 is more archival.

    I also have read all sorts of warnings against using 3rd party
    inks, in terms of clogging heads and such.

    Slick

    Dr. Slick, Nov 27, 2003
  7. Dr. Slick

    zbzbzb Guest

    Yeah, that's what i meant.
    Nope, it depends on the paper used. Do that with Epson's Colorlife and it will
    instantly wipe ink off. Even though it is one of Epson's longest lasting papers
    it is very susceptible to water damage. If they still have it Epson's plastic
    film "paper" allows you to be able to dunk a print made with Epson dye inks
    into water with no damage. Leave it in long enough and it will start dmaging
    the print. It depends on paper.

    zbzbzb, Nov 27, 2003
  8. So you print it again. It's not like it costs $100 to make a print or
    something.

    Andrew McDonald, Nov 28, 2003
  9. Dr. Slick

    Flycaster Guest

    While the Ultrachrome inks are more moisture resistant than dyes, I wouldn't
    take either one for a swim. If you get it wet, leave it alone and see how
    it works out. If it doesn't, re-print it.

    Flycaster, Nov 28, 2003
  10. (zbzbzb) wrote in
    Well, I can only comment about the papers I've tried, but prints from my
    new C84 using DuraBrite inks on plain paper, Epson Matte Paper Heavyweight,
    and Epson Durabrite Ink Glossy Photo Paper are water PROOF. The only
    concern is wrinkling of the paper.

    I've run a plain paper print under the water faucet, and it just wrinkles
    the paper. It has no effect on the ink.

    I've splashed prints on the other 2 papers with about a tablespoon of water
    flicked at them, leaving large water droplets all over the prints like they
    got left out in the rain for 30 seconds. Then, I let them sit.

    No effect on the ink. 10 minutes later, I can walk over and wipe drops off
    without damaging the print. If the water's clean, it won't even leave
    spots.

    On the papers I've tried, DuraBrite ink is >>WATER PROOF<<.

    Tony Whitaker, Nov 28, 2003
  11. Oh. I thought the "DuraBrite" inks were the only pigment based inks Epson
    made. Are "Ultrachrome" inks different?

    Tony Whitaker, Nov 28, 2003
  12. Dr. Slick

    Flycaster Guest

    Yeah, it's a different inkset altogether. The DuraBrite inkset was designed
    with commercial and store-front window display in mind. Furthermore, I
    *think* DuraBrite is 100% pigment whereas I *know* Ultrachrome is a
    dye/pigment blend with which Epson has tried to combine the best of both
    worlds (i.e., gamut and durability).

    Epson claims water "insolubility" for DuraBrite, but they do not make the
    same claim for Ultrachrome.

    Flycaster, Nov 28, 2003
  13. Dr. Slick

    andrew29 Guest

    Colorlife isn't recommended for pigment inks AFAIAA.

    Andrew.

    andrew29, Nov 29, 2003