EOS 300D: Official news release

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by deryck lant, Aug 20, 2003.

  1. deryck  lant

    deryck lant Guest

    deryck lant, Aug 20, 2003

  2. deryck  lant

    Scott Coutts Guest

    Do you think that guy in the photo has ever even used a camera? That's a
    funny way to use the zoom... :)

    Scott Coutts, Aug 20, 2003

  3. deryck  lant

    SD Guest

    Whoever took the photo of the guy taking the photo should have realised..

    SD, Aug 20, 2003
  4. deryck  lant

    Guest Guest

    Hi,

    You can find all of the Canon EOS 300D news, press releases, product images
    and an interview with the head of Canon Europe Marketing on my blog:

    http://www.photographyblog.com

    Mark

    Guest, Aug 20, 2003
  5. deryck  lant

    Eugene I Guest

    A bit disappointing, isn't it? A cheaper version of 10D is nice and
    good, but it's not the step forward. A camera with a larger sensor for
    the price of 10D would've been nicer :( Anything else up Canon's
    sleeve?

    ei

    Eugene I, Aug 20, 2003
  6. And his head is either freakishly small or his hands are freakishly large.
    Way to shoot a portrait with a wide angle lens.

    - jz

    Jeff Zawrotny, Aug 20, 2003
  7. deryck  lant

    Mark M Guest

    It was all quite deliberate.
    The large hands go right along with the large view of the camera...the focus
    of the image, after all.
    The somewhat unusual (though hardly significant) hand placement was done so
    as not to obscure your view of what is most important to view...the camera.
    Nobody goofed here.

    Mark M, Aug 20, 2003
  8. deryck  lant

    Mark M Guest

    Perhaps not a step for YOU...but it is a HUGE step in the forward march of
    digital photography. Nothing else comes close at this price point.
    Nothing.

    Mark M, Aug 20, 2003
  9. deryck  lant

    Paul H. Guest

    You forgot to add "In my humble opinion."

    I think the photo is dreadful--it doesn't show the camera to advantage, as a
    half-profile shot would have done and the camera itself--the thing that's
    being sold, remember--occupies far too little of the frame. The pose is
    lifeless and uninteresting and the large hands obscure the camera body,
    resulting in the camera looking more like a toy or a carnival prize than a
    sophisticated picture-taking device. The stark contrast between the
    background and foreground also forced the photographer to slight the
    metering on the camera so as not to completely blow out the white
    background. Unfortunately, this under-metering dropped far too many of the
    camera's details into the dark.

    Frankly, you're quite wrong about the focus of the image, too, which is not
    the camera, but lies instead at the vanishing point defined by the lines in
    roof of the white galleria. Indeed, the focus of the image directs the eye
    to the center of the frame but when one looks there, it's only empty white
    space. How "artsy." And how utterly ineffective, failing on two levels:
    it's not good advertising, nor is it informational. The overall effect is
    that of a dark, left-of-center blob set against a mundane white background,
    reminding one somewhat of the >cough< "best" of Yoko Ono's "art." However,
    I'm sure the small-but-important dung-on-snow photo crowd is pleased and
    some of them may even want frame and hang the ad copy next to the pictures
    of their Weimaraner's droppings taken last winter at the ski lodge.

    The photo was amateurish, at best, and were I Canon's marketing chief, I'd c
    all for a re-shoot with a different photographer before I lost too many
    sales to other companies' more effective presentations.

    In my humble opinion, of course.

    Paul H., Aug 20, 2003
  10. Yes. Someone was whimpering about the slow lens on the Nikon 5700. It's now
    not completely unreasonable to say, "so shut up and buy a dSLR with a
    Well, Pentax will probably drop the price on the *ist D, and that camera has
    a spot meter. If it's noise levels are similar, I'd consider that as a
    low-light camera alternative. Not having a spot meter is a _major_
    irritation. The problem with the Pentax is that I wouldn't want to spend any
    money on lenses for it (other than a 50/1.4), since those lenses won't work
    on the EOS 3 body with full-frame sensor that I'm praying Canon comes out
    with.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Aug 20, 2003
  11. deryck  lant

    Chris Brown Guest

    The EOS 30D already exists, only they called it the 10D. I guess this was to
    avoid confusion with the D30.

    If the 300D is a digital 300, then the 10D is pretty much a digital 30,
    AFAICS.

    Chris Brown, Aug 21, 2003
  12. deryck  lant

    Lisa Horton Guest

    Well, you'll no doubt be wanting a backup body for that 3D, and at times
    it might be nice to have a smaller lighter alternative to the 3D in your
    kit... Not to mention having the opportunity to get up to speed on
    Canon digital imaging (raw conversion, post processing, etc) before your
    3D arrives.

    Evil Grin,

    Lisa

    Lisa Horton, Aug 21, 2003
  13. deryck  lant

    Mark M Guest

    There you go again...talking yourself into more toys...
    ....I swear you've got at least one male gadget gene in you. :)

    Mark M, Aug 21, 2003
  14. deryck  lant

    JC Dill Guest

    It's a 150x188 pixel jpeg, essentially a thumbnail. Don't you think
    you are being rather rash to judge the quality of "the photo" based on
    such a small image?

    jc

    JC Dill, Aug 21, 2003
  15. deryck  lant

    Scott Coutts Guest

    yup, i agree with that. I've always wondered why they changed their
    naming scheme...

    Scott Coutts, Aug 21, 2003
  16. deryck  lant

    Lionel Guest