    there a process that would allow them to be enlarged up to 11x14 or 8x10 and
    still be visually OK? I have access to photo labs if that is necessary.
    Thanx- lib

    lib, Jul 2, 2006

  2. Depends on where you want to draw the line for a reasonably good
    image. If that would be at, say 200ppi output resolution, you would
    obviously get [a] 1.8 x 2.7inch and 2 x 3 inch.
    Depends on the image content, but very doubtful.

    Bart

    Bart van der Wolf, Jul 3, 2006

  3. lib

    Jack Guest

    Using Photoshop CS2 you can create an action which will allow you to
    enlarge a small photo to poster size and retain a good image. It's done by
    enlarging 10% at a time which enlarges without degrading the image. It
    works, as I have done it with images that were emailed to me in reduced
    size.

    Jack, Jul 4, 2006
  4. lib

    Frank ess Guest

    You can decide if it is worth it, applying your own standards. I have
    some hi-res scans of 3.5" x 3.5" prints from one of those little green
    Kodaks (Instamatic; this time I remembered!) which made decent 4x6s
    (cropped from square) and marginal 5x7s. Some day when I want to throw
    away a couple dollars, it might be a good idea to try an 8x10, for
    laughs.

    Back in the day (early 70s) I dropped off a few of that kind of print
    at a GIANT POSTER (monochrome only) place; they looked great from
    poster-viewing distance.

    If you are lazy like me, or don't want to mess with 'actions' in Photo
    Shop, get Hoon Im's utility:
    http://www.imphotography.com/downloads/ssimagesize.htm
    It stairsteps up or down at your choice of %s. It installs itself in
    the Automate menu, and to my mind is one of the best value-for-money
    propositions out there (free).

    Frank ess, Jul 4, 2006
  5. lib

    Ado Hobbach Guest

    You may recalculate the picture to a higher number of pixels as needed
    for big enlargements. You will get more pixels, but not more
    information. You may sharpen it subsequently and then print. It looks
    pretty well if viewed from a certain distance. Just try. Any picture
    processing software will do.

    Ado

    Ado Hobbach, Jul 4, 2006
  6. lib

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Most people would be happy with a print that has 200dpi, so your
    pictures wold not look good much larger than 2x3. There is software
    that minimizes the effect of increasing the size, but those sizes don't
    give much to work with. I would say that anything large than 4x6 would
    be unacceptable quality with so little information to work with. Note
    that the subject matter of the picture has a great effect on just how
    much can be done with software to make a larger image.

    Ron Hunter, Jul 4, 2006
  7. lib

    Don Stauffer Guest

    Well, the ordinary rule of thumb is 200 to 300 pixels per inch in the
    final print. That would give a 2.7 inch by 1.8 inch and a 3 x 2 inch.

    However, it depends a lot on the subject matter. On some scenes I have
    had satisfactory prints at 150 ppi. That would give a 50% larger size
    than the above size.

    There are various extrapolation algorithms that will increase the number
    of pixels in an image. However, these are not magic, and only work to
    at most double the size in each direction. So even if you used such
    algorithms, and printed at 150 ppi that would still only allow about a
    7 x 5 and an 8 x 5.

    Don Stauffer, Jul 4, 2006
  8. lib

    lib Guest