    information or websites? I'm looking to also learn the number of
    engineers who're certified and who took what certification exams! All
    that good stuff !! Thank you!

    Harsha Raghavan, Jun 2, 2004

  2. Harsha Raghavan

    Bernie Guest

    Quick question. Do you mean real engineers, psuedo-engineers (who
    arguably do perform *some* engineering tasks but are not certified by
    state government as "engineers"), or the completely fake engineers who
    make a joke out of the real term "engineer" by attaching it to people
    who pass silly Prometric exams?

    --Bernie

    Bernie, Jun 2, 2004

  3. Harsha Raghavan

    N. Funk Guest

    The one and only true engineer has a PE (Professional Engineering)
    registration.

    N. Funk, Jun 2, 2004
  4. No, I don't think so. Once you get the title through a tough
    educational circumstance, you have that title. I have a hard-earned
    electronics engineering technology diploma on my wall, and worked for
    many years in the field of electronics. I no longer work in that
    field. I am still an electronics engineering technologist, in name,
    because I earned the title through education and years in the field.
    If the body who granted me the diploma put a time limit on it, then
    that's fine, but they haven't. If an employer decides to base their
    opinions on current employment, time frame, etc., that's fine too, but
    they might get a surprise if they tested my knowledge base.

    I also have a BA in music, and no longer perform due to
    medical/physical problems. I still believe my BA is valid, and I
    suspect the university that granted my degree does also. Again, the
    yada-yada-yada clause applies. :)

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Jun 2, 2004
  5. Harsha Raghavan

    TechGeekPro Guest

    You mean once I get my MCSE I won't be a "true" engineer? What a jip.

    Now I suppose you're going to tell me that once I get my CIW I won't really
    be a "true" Master of the Web.

    Hmmph.

    TechGeekPro, Jun 3, 2004
  6. Harsha Raghavan

    JaR Guest

    Go down to the union hall and tell those guys that drive trains they're
    not 'real' engineers.

    Humph!

    JaR, Jun 3, 2004
  7. Harsha Raghavan

    Bernie Guest

    Correction. Today it is a job title and a professional degree which
    also has governmental controls (e.g. state board certification etc.).
    It used to only be the latter. The title engineer has been so
    cheapened by cheesy jobs and lame vendor certifications that adopted
    that title to grant an automatic (and cheaply bought I might add)
    elevation in status.

    So ten years from now when "engineer" no longer carries even the
    pitiful status it retains has today, are we going work the word
    "doctor" into our titles to get a further cheaply bought elevation?
    I'm a "network doctor" (not an MD).... scratch that, I'm a "senior
    network doctor." Oops now that everyone is calling themselves a
    senior network doctor, I am now a "level three senior network doctor."

    Maybe after that we will start calling ourselves scientists or lawyers
    etc.

    See how ridiculous that is? It is a slippery slope when you start
    cheapening titles that used to mean something.
    But what does it matter what you consider someone if the state board
    considers someone a civil engineer, electrical engineer, etc?
    Yes it is! That was partly my point.

    --Bernie

    Bernie, Jun 3, 2004
  8. Harsha Raghavan

    John Agosta Guest

    The clerk at the record shop will be the

    Rock n Roll Doctor

    ;-)

    John Agosta, Jun 3, 2004
  9. I can add a spin to this. Here in Canada, when a person wants to
    acquire their Permanent Resident card, he/she usually needs a
    guarantor. One classification of people who can be a guarantor is a
    Professional Engineer. Railway engineers and MCSE's don't fill the
    bill. That is one distinction to add to this discussion.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Jun 3, 2004
  10. A+ doesn't change your blood type either...I guess I am a double-A+,
    though. :)

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Jun 3, 2004
  11. This will give an idea of the stuff that an electrical engineer has to
    be able to handle...for those who are interested. This is the very
    basics, the guts of what keeps our computers working.

    http://pneuma.phys.ualberta.ca/~gingrich/phys395/notes/phys395.html

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Jun 3, 2004
  12. Totally agree with Bernie.
    I work for a consulting company that calls us 'engineers' and I cringe
    whenever they say it. I always correct them, even on a conference call with
    a big client 'Ahem, excuse me, just for the record I am NOT an engineer; I
    am a tech'
    When I was hired 5 years ago, I made a big stink about it in a meeting, but
    management decided to keep calling us engineers anyway.
    I refuse to hand out my cards because my co put 'engineer' on them. I said
    that is false reprasentation.

    Ticking Timebomb, Jun 4, 2004
  13. Harsha Raghavan

    TechGeekPro Guest

    Agree with it or not, the "E" in MCSE *does* stand for Engineer.

    TechGeekPro, Jun 4, 2004
  14. Ya I know I am a stick in the mud, but just because MS is insulting a group
    of professionals by cheapening the word, does not mean I will also.

    Ticking Timebomb, Jun 4, 2004
  15. Harsha Raghavan

    TechGeekPro Guest

    I don't particularly like it either. I prefer technician.

    TechGeekPro, Jun 4, 2004
  16. Harsha Raghavan

    Bernie Guest

    And what is so disgusting about Microsoft using this same term, is
    that this is the SAME company that was forced to change the official
    job title of their own employees to remove the word "engineer" after
    various state boards got on their case. I should know, I was one of
    the people who were affected at the time.

    So basically, MS is just being an ass-kiss (to anyone certified) by
    continuing to use that word when they know it is wrong to do so.

    --Bernie

    Bernie, Jun 4, 2004
  17. Harsha Raghavan

    beekay Guest

    Just curious - does a BA mean you are a bachelor? Or an artist? And can
    you be an unmarried portrait painter without a BA? Really, this is just for
    laughs, not an attack.

    bruce kimball from louisville

    beekay, Jun 4, 2004
  18. Harsha Raghavan

    AG Guest

    BA means Bachelor of Arts. BS means Bachelor of Science and other things we
    won't go into unless you just must.
    I have a BME which stands for Bachelor of Music Education.

    AG

    AG, Jun 4, 2004
  19. Harsha Raghavan

    AG Guest

    A buddy of mine is a Construction and Soil Engineer and works in several
    different states in the Southwest. There is indeed reciprocity between many
    states. Louisiana is the oddball on many of these they are on their own
    separate planet.
    AG

    AG, Jun 4, 2004
  20. Harsha Raghavan

    TechGeekPro Guest

    Just a thought: What about Sanitation Engineers?

    TechGeekPro, Jun 4, 2004