    Also I wonder how vulnerable they will be to traffic analysis. Often you can
    deduce something is up simply from the increased amount of chatter on a
    channel, particularly if it's concentrated in your neighbourhood.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 21, 2009

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    ted.8367 Guest

    About time too

    They would be able to in any decent system. And be able to locate the
    radio remotely too.
    I don't see an easy way to get around the traffic analysis. But it's
    more difficult for the crims than just turning on a scanner.

    ted.8367, May 21, 2009

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    JohnO Guest

    Except there's no army of encryption hackers amongst the criminal and
    gang fraternity as there is amongst the world's computer users.
    So far nobody has managed to crack the encryption used in digital tv
    such as SkyDigital in NZ.
    Well, the Medellin Cartel was cracked because they were careless with
    their cellular phones. I think you credit them with too much smarts.
    ..

    JohnO, May 21, 2009
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    victor Guest

    One flaw in your reasoning that it is akin to the CSS vulnerability is
    that pressed optical disks have a single fixed key.
    P25 radios have over the air re-keying for their AES encryption, its not
    flashed when the car is maintained, you are definitely pulling that out
    of your arse.
    Check out the spec at Tait's site and the govt briefing docs that Google
    found www.e.govt.nz/standards/e-gif/apcop25/apcop25-briefing.doc

    victor, May 21, 2009
  5. SSH/SSL has stood up pretty well. As has RSA (since 1976), triple-DES (slow
    as it is) ...

    Your confusion between copy-protection/DRM and securing communication
    channels shows a lack of understanding of two very different situations.
    Think of all the public keys currently being distributed all over the
    Internet without issues of this sort--like the hundred or so CA certs built
    into the Web browser that you use, for example. Subverting those could be
    worth a lot of money in online fraud. Yet in over a decade or more of using
    SSL, it just hasn't happened. Why not?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 21, 2009