Encase 4.20 (the premier computer forensics tool) Posted

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by nemo outis, Dec 11, 2004.

  1. nemo outis

    SteveM Guest

    Leythos says:
    Actually, tools like the FBI's "Carnivore" can track all activity.
    This is the equivalent of setting up check-points and stopping and
    searching every single car that goes through.

    No "suspects" here, we're talking about a dragnet that
    catches everyone.

    How about having your medical/psychological information revealed?

    As for "ethical", that's in the eye of the beholder. I don't
    see anything wrong with looking at naked pictures of beautiful women,
    if it's done on my computer, in the privacy of my home.
    Some people do. If these people are in a position of power over
    me, they may fire me or otherwise make my life miserable.

    The USA is light years ahead of many countries in this respect,
    but there too you can suffer for your beliefs.

    How about:
    Running for office if you're an atheist? Enlisting in the army
    if you're gay? Not to mention getting fired over whatever hang ups your
    employer may have.
    Some employers will not hire women simply because they plan to
    start a family (child leave and replacement training cost a lot).

    What if you're a religious fundamentalist, and your boss
    is a rabid atheist? Or vice-versa? Or if you've had an abortion?
    Or are an abortion counselor/providor?

    The list of actual examples, over which real people have
    already suffered, is endless. I don't even need to use my
    imagination to come up with examples, just to remember what
    I've seen in the news over the years.

    If your employer is understanding (or perhaps doesn't yet
    know the full extent of what you do), then great. Not everyone
    is so lucky.

    SteveM, Dec 14, 2004

  2. nemo outis

    Jim Watt Guest

    One good thing about cards was we used to sell them for recycling
    and a years collection paid for the computer section christmas binge.

    Unentagling a full reel of paper tape dropped was also a good trick
    indeed I still have a working punch and reader. Someday I'll find
    some tape. We recently binned the reels of mag tape. The qic-80
    cartridges go next.

    Jim Watt, Dec 14, 2004

  3. nemo outis

    Leythos Guest

    With the exception of people using their work computers to engage in
    personal activities, there is little being done to people that don't
    already make their secrets public. I have yet to see a person not hired
    because he has personal information on his home computer about him being
    a member of XXX religion.

    You are mixing the corporate with the private and it's not the same.

    Unless I do something to make myself a target, or get targeted by
    association (which is the same) or by accident, there is nothing on any
    of my computers or posts that can be traced back to me that would be
    found my a priest, potential employer, friend (unless they know my
    nick), spouse, child, unless I permitted them to access my computer and
    logs.

    Sure, if I post as John Smith and state that I'm against XYZ, and I
    apply at a company that doesn't support my beliefs, and they check the
    public forums, then come ask me if I'm the same John Smith, they might
    not hire me, but the difference is that "I" would have made that choice
    to post it in a PUBLIC forum. And then begs the question of why I would
    want to associate with people that don't hold my beliefs anyway.

    I've seen people arrested, not hired, persecuted, etc.. for things they
    have said/done in public, but I've never known one, that wasn't a
    target, to have a problem with what's on their personal network.

    Leythos, Dec 14, 2004
  4. nemo outis

    Leythos Guest

    Oh god, I remember doing that. I also remember going to the dumps where
    AT&T would throw all of their used hardware and salvaging the copper and
    working electronic hardware and reselling it to pay for the computer
    parts (and electronics) addiction - sheesh, the things I did when I was
    a kid.
    Oh, crap, I never dropped a roll of tape, but I have had a couple of the
    large mag reels break and had to respool them by hand (often it was the
    only copy of a tape we had)...

    I just burned all of my old QIC tapes, and the Travan ones too. I dumped
    the old 8" diskettes about 3 years ago, I didn't have a system that
    could read them any more :)

    Leythos, Dec 14, 2004
  5. Hey, I am a Republican and I happen to agree with nemo too! There is plenty
    of room for complaints against each side when it comes to infringement of
    people's rights. Carnivore was a Clinton/Reno thing. The Patriot Act has
    good and bad things. I support the full repeal of certain aspects. I side
    with a few Dems and the few Repubs on those areas that need reform.

    BTW, the Feds in their Cert Alert newsletter encourages you to encrypt your
    email. So I do.

    And, I use remailers too! Been using them since they first started out. I
    well remember when Private Idaho was the ony reliable interface other than
    hand rolling.

    Nomen Nescio, Dec 14, 2004
  7. How about that fellow Richard Jewels (spelling?) that was made out to be
    the bomber at the Olymics? After destroying his life by intentionally
    leaking information, we all came to find out he was innocent.

    Nothing to worry about eh? Big Brother is a nice guy and plays by the
    rules, right? This man had nothing to hide either.

    Max Mustermann, Dec 14, 2004
  8. nemo outis

    Leythos Guest

    And nothing on his computer indicated that he was a threat - it was a
    simple issue of the MEDIA HYPE that is created by the need to have
    ratings increases.
    So, since there was no indication that his computer or postings on the
    net had anything to do with your example, care to come up with one that
    does?

    Oh, there are countless stories of people being wronged by the News
    Media, but show me where the started by inspecting the computer first.

    Leythos, Dec 14, 2004
  9. Snipped for brevity
    Can you imagine if they checked his home computer and found some innocent
    legal pictures of naked women? They would have made him out to be a
    sexually perverted mad bomber. What if he had visited the NRA website? Just
    imagine what they would have made of that.

    What if he owned a diesal truck and ordered a couple of bags of grass
    fertilizer over the internet. Then the confirmation order and web tracks
    were found on his computer. They would probably have leaked that he
    purchased bomb making materials.

    I don't think the Feds ever apologized for the living hell they created for
    the man.

    Nomen Nescio, Dec 15, 2004
  12. nemo outis

    winged Guest

    Dang those are getting hard to find, sigh. My old CP/M system still uses
    those floppies, I still use the system out in the shop to track
    inventory. It does that pretty well. Luckily I found a huge box of
    them that someone tossed. I just reformat them once a year and rebuild
    system disks and they just keep working. Of course it doesn't get
    overworked tracking "my" inventory. So I guess the floppy supply I have
    will probably last longer than I do. They make great training aids!

    Winged

    winged, Dec 15, 2004
  13. nemo outis

    Leythos Guest

    That's because the FED's didn't create it. He was a suspect, the FED's
    investigated it, and the News Media took it from there. Talk about
    abuse, the news media doesn't even have to get the facts right (or Did
    you miss CBS during the elections).

    Leythos, Dec 15, 2004
  14. nemo outis

    nemo outis Guest

    <>, Leythos

    There's quite a cottage industry in supporting outmoded formats.
    For instance, I have kept drives capable of reading 8 and 5-1/4
    inch floppies, Colorado tape drives for QIC, Zip & Jazz drives,
    etc. Every once in a while I get a call.

    There was a major amount of money made here in Calgary a while
    ago converting unbelievably large quantities of reel-to-reel
    oilfield seismic data (potentially very valuable data) to newer
    formats. There were surprisingly few drives in sufficiently good
    working order to do the job (those that died were cannibalized to
    support those that survived).

    Interestingly, some time back the US Library of Congress
    considered archiving their entire collection to CDs. The problem
    that killed the idea? Not life expectancy of the media but of
    the technology. It appears they were wise. With DVDs now
    becoming dominant (and who knows what will follow them) it is
    likely that in a few years our children will regard a CD as as
    quaint as a 78-rpm phonograph record.

    Regards,

    nemo outis, Dec 15, 2004
  15. nemo outis

    Jim Watt Guest

    I've still got a working NorthStar Horizon that uses 5 1/4 hard
    sectored disks. Got a good supply of those. The S/36 was
    our last machine that read full size ones, although have a few kept as
    a curiosity. We are about to shred the soft sectored 5 1/4 ones
    about 1m3 worth. Probably an entire DVD's worth ....

    Wonder if my PC/AT will ever be a collectable antique ...

    Jim Watt, Dec 15, 2004
  16. Gary Glitter.

    --

    Hairy One Kenobi

    in the first place. So there!

    Hairy One Kenobi, Dec 15, 2004
  17. nemo outis

    Leythos Guest

    Still have a working Commodore PET 2001 and their Dual Floppy drive
    system :)

    Leythos, Dec 15, 2004
  18. nemo outis

    Anonymous Guest

    There is a blast from the past, I still have the Private Idaho
    software, you know, the first one that used pgp 2.2 or whatever that
    very low number was where it did the pgp in a dos box first. I loved
    that program, it was hot, wonder if it will run on win 2000?

    Lithtoad and Watt are pig$ and narc$, avoid them, they are
    trouble.

    Anonymous, Dec 15, 2004
  19. nemo outis

    Anonymous Guest

    What an idiot you are, you can't even comprehend the truth
    when it is encapsulated into one small bite for you to swallow, as
    above.

    Anonymous, Dec 15, 2004
  20. nemo outis

    Leythos Guest

    Spoken like a true Troll, not a good one, but a troll-wanna-be.

    Leythos, Dec 15, 2004