    account, and then switch to the Guest account from there. Unfortunately, I
    won't always be around to log in, and I still want my family to be able to
    use it. How can I allow the Guest account to access the wireless network?

    Guest, Jan 24, 2006

  2. Guest

    Lem Guest

    I'm not entirely sure (and I can't check on the machine I'm currently using), but
    I believe that the built-in Guest account is more restricted that an ordinary
    limited User account. Try creating a new user account, name it whatever you want
    (e.g., MattsGuests), and see if that works.

    See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300489/en-us "When you use the Guest account
    to log on ...You cannot access the applications that have already been installed
    on the computer."

    Lem, Jan 24, 2006

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I actually have my accounts set up how you mentioned. Instead of using the
    Guest account, I created a new account called GuestUser (as a member of the
    Users group). I thought that would help, but I still can't get access to the
    wireless network. Also, I have two icons in the system tray related to the
    wireless network, the one for Windows wireless settings, and one for the
    Broadcom utility that I installed. I noticed that when I open the Broadcom
    utility, the "let this tool manage my wireless settings" checkbox is no
    longer checked. However, if I check it, it goes away the next time I open
    the tool. Also, when I click on the windows network icon in the system tray,
    a security message pops up that says I don't have the necessary priviliges to
    change some of the items on this screen.

    All I want is a second account that can use the internet, but can't install
    programs. I honestly don't care how its done, or what the account is named.
    Its a little aggravating that this is so difficult to accomplish.

    Guest, Jan 24, 2006
  4. Guest

    Lem Guest

    From an account with administrative privileges:

    In Network Connections, right-click on the wireless connection, select properties,
    select the wireless networks tab, and make sure the "Use Windows to configure ..." box
    is UN checked.

    Disable Windows' Wireless Zero Configuration service: open the Administrative Tools
    control panel and choose Services. Scroll down the list of services and double-click
    Wireless Zero Configuration. Click Stop to end the service now. Select Manual (or
    Disabled) for the Startup Type. [http://www.ifelix.co.uk/tech/2000.html]

    reboot.

    Lem, Jan 24, 2006
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I tried disabling the windows wireless zero configuration service, rebooted,
    and logged on as GuestUser, but I still couldn't access the network. I think
    I might just get rid of the GuestUser account, since its pretty much useless.
    I guess no one will use my laptop but me.

    Guest, Jan 25, 2006
  6. I use a wireless acount all the time on my XPSP2 laptop from a user
    (non-admin) account, so this should work. However I use the native Windows
    wireless support, no Broadcom extensions. You may want to give that a try.

    You originally said your university required the Broadcom wireless
    configuration tool-- why is that? Does the university have a publicly
    accessible website discussing this?

    thanks

    --
    Frank Schwieterman [MSFT]