Enabling file sharing with laptop not on domestic workgroup

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Guest, Aug 14, 2004.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi,

    I want to be able to share files and resources btw my machines, but all I
    can do is ping one each other :-(
    I thought my configuration and need were quite generic, but couldn't find
    the answer!

    - 1 domestic PC on WinXP Pro
    - 1 pro laptop on pro domain (don't want to keep switching to
    workgroup/domain...)
    - 1 MN500 wireless router, security on. Domestic PC connected via ethernet
    cable, laptop via wireless. WinXP F/W off on both machines.

    Is there a simple and convenient configuration to enable file sharing (at
    least one way), or do I really have to use FTP or crossed ethernet cables?

    thx

    Guest, Aug 14, 2004

  2. Guest

    Jack Guest

    Jack, Aug 14, 2004

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I seen this a lot from work computers:

    If this is a work computer and you get to take it home your best bet is to
    inform your it dept. what you wanna do that way they can configure it for
    you. The reason its probably not letting is you dont have enough permission
    under the domain account or your computer has local policy restriction.

    If you have a domain at home put the laptop on the domain and then give
    evryone access to that computer from the domain controller and you should be
    able to browse.

    Guest, Aug 15, 2004
  4. Guest

    Guest Guest

    A simple and efficient turn around: install NetBEUI. Thx for the links that
    helped me find this trick. Every other method failed and IT department was no
    help...
    Michel

    Guest, Aug 21, 2004