    and reinstalled 33 MB of new drivers that I downloaded using driver
    detective. Could someone walk me through this?

    JPC

    John Callaway, Mar 26, 2009

  2. John Callaway

    Lem Guest

    1. Win XP Home, Pro, MCE? What service pack?

    2. Where did you get the drivers that you installed?

    3. To what are you trying to connect? Your own wifi network? A public
    hot-spot? Other?

    4. What do you see if you go to Start > Connect To > Wireless Network
    Connction?

    5. Have you ever been able to connect to any wifi network?
    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Lem, Mar 26, 2009

  3. John Callaway

    John Guest

    Are you trying to connect to an open wireless network or secured (ie.
    require a passphrase to join)? If there's security, what is it (WEP, WPA or
    WPA2)? My guess is the network may be WPA or WPA2 protected but your laptop
    wireless card does not support WPA/WPA2 security or your Windows XP does not
    have WPA2 patch installed.

    John, Mar 26, 2009
  4. John Callaway

    Jack-MVP Guest

    Jack-MVP, Mar 27, 2009
  5. 1. I have XP Pro, SP2, CPU 440 @ 1.86 GHz with 1.87 GB Ram.
    2. When I first got this machine, it had drivers on a disk. I went to
    the facility that has the public hot-spot that encourages people to
    come in and connect. After I first fired up the wireless, it showed an
    icon in the toolbar that it was searching for a network. It never did
    find one. I thought the drivers might be out of date, so I purchased
    driver detective and downloaded the appropriate drivers that it said I
    needed. It still didn't work, so I removed the device in device
    manager and started over from scratch. Now it says I am not connected
    and the card does not exist.
    3. Public hot-spot.
    4. My wi-fi connection is enabled but not connected.
    5. No. This is the first time I have tried.

    JPC

    John Callaway, Mar 27, 2009
  6. John Callaway

    Lem Guest

    The initial problem probably was not your wireless adapter's driver.

    Is the answer to Q4 from before you reinstalled the adapter? If not, I
    don't understand how the card can be reported to not exist at the same
    time your wifi connection is reported to be enabled. In any event, I
    take it that you don't see this screen (with or without any networks in
    the list):
    http://screenshots.modemhelp.net/sc...Connection/View_Wireless_Networks/Index.shtml

    Follow the process shown on the page linked in MVP Jack's post and if
    you still can't connect, report the results of the various steps.
    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Lem, Mar 27, 2009
  7. I notice in my device manager there is a network adapter but no
    network connection on the list.

    JPC

    John Callaway, Mar 28, 2009
  8. John Callaway

    Lem Guest

    Is there a yellow exclamation point next to the DM entry for your
    wireless adapter?

    Right click on the entry and select "Propterties." At the bottom of the
    General tab, does it say "Use this device (enable)"? If not, use the
    drop down menu to enable it.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Lem, Mar 28, 2009
  9. Lem,
    No yellow in any DM's. Ralink wireless Lan V2 card is enabled
    & working properly according to the general tab in the properties
    window. There are 2 red X's next to the wireless network connection
    icon & Ralink wireless lan card v2 icon respectively , in the tool
    tray.
    JPC

    John Callaway, Mar 28, 2009