Emulating Priority Queuing (PQ) on 7206 VXR

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by ryan.kingsbury, Sep 20, 2006.

  1. Hello,

    I have a need for multi-level (more than 2) strict priority queuing of
    IPv6 traffic flows on a Cisco 7206 VXR running IOS 12.4. Since the
    router doesn't support PQ for IPv6 traffic, I was hoping that someone
    has found a workaround for this limitation. I'd like to sort the
    traffic into four different queues based on DSCP (EF, AF21, AF11, BE).
    The only thing I can come up with is shown below and I'm not 100% sure
    it is correct. Sometimes I get errors from the IOS about using > 100%
    of bandwidth, although, I don't see these errors when I assign the
    policy to the interface then define the classes within the policy. In
    other words, it seems order-dependent.

    Does anyone else have any creative ways of implementing strict-priority
    queuing on a cisco? Is there a way to somehow nest policies to achieve
    strict-priority queuing? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Ryan...

    class-map match-any Q0
    match dscp ef
    class-map match-any Q1
    match dscp af21
    class-map match-any Q2
    match dscp 11
    class-map match-any Q3
    match dscp be

    policy-map Strict-Priority-Policy
    class Q0
    priority percent 100
    class Q1
    bandwidth remaining percent 99
    class Q2
    bandwidth remaining percent 1

    Then, the policy is applied to a particular interface with
    "service-policy output Strict-Priority-Policy"

    ryan.kingsbury, Sep 20, 2006