    \LastGood\System 32. Also a much smaller Prefetch folder. Can I safely
    delete the contents of these? Will these fill up again if I do and what are
    the advantages or otherwise of doing so?

    Kenny Cargill, Dec 1, 2003

  2. Kenny Cargill

    AT Guest

    NO.....You can not delete the dllcache. They are a part of the Windows File
    Protection. Normally they are compressed to save some space. If they are not
    compressed....make them.

    AT

    AT, Dec 1, 2003

  3. Kenny Cargill

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    If you delete the dllcache folder, Windows File Protection will kick in and
    replace the files you deleted.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    website: under construction

    DeMoN LaG, Dec 2, 2003
  4. Kenny Cargill

    AT Guest

    NO.....Since Windows File Protection is depending on dllcache to be able to
    make copies to replace deleted files this will not work. If dllcache is
    deleted there is nothing to make copies from! Result of that is that you can
    not replace a defect/deleted file that neads to be replaced.
    There is reasons for why MS has put some files and folders as Hidden and by
    default not show them.

    AT, Dec 2, 2003
  5. Kenny Cargill

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Case in point:
    I like Notepad+ instead of notepad. I rename Notepad+.exe to Notepad.exe,
    and drop it into the dllcache folder. Windows replaces my version with the
    version in c:\winnt or c:\winnt\system32.

    DeMoN LaG, Dec 2, 2003
  6. Kenny Cargill

    AT Guest

    Try this!
    Delete your notepad.exe from your dllcache and delete the notepad.exe from
    system32 and you know why you should not mess around with this. There is a
    delay(I think the dllcache is checked every 5 minutes?) and if you have just
    a little bit bad luck you will end up with installing the files from your
    CD.
    The dllcache exists as a backup for the System files, not the other way
    around. Even if it works that way to!

    AT

    AT, Dec 2, 2003
  7. Kenny Cargill

    polishpickle Guest

    You can delete the prefetch file as this is for caching places you have been
    and programs that you have started so they load faster. windows will
    rebuild this file with a new one that will cach the programs you start now.
    Hope this explains it.

    polishpickle, Dec 2, 2003
  8. So if you rename it & drop it into c:\winnt or c:\winnt\system32 does it
    then replace the version in dllcache with that? or does it replace that
    with the version in dllcache?

    Calvin Crumrine, Dec 2, 2003
  9. Kenny Cargill

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    I've found (whether on purpose or by accident) all three places protect
    each other. If I replace notepad.exe in c:\winnt or c:\winnt\system32, it
    gets overwritten with the original notepad from dllcache. If I replace the
    dllcache version, though it doesn't happen immediately and I don't know
    whether it's a timer or some action I do that causes it to notice that the
    dllcache version is not the right version and one of the others is
    restored.

    DeMoN LaG, Dec 2, 2003
  10. Interesting. Sort of a peer-to-peer setup. I wonder if that's why
    they're stored in 3 places-rather than having a central repository maybe
    it works by voting?

    Calvin Crumrine, Dec 2, 2003
  11. Kenny Cargill

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    I am not really sure, as one of the first things I do when I install
    Windows on my personal machines is to disable Windows File Protection

    DeMoN LaG, Dec 3, 2003
  12. Kenny Cargill

    Night_Seer Guest

    How do you go about doing that, and what are the benefits?

    Night_Seer, Dec 3, 2003
  13. Kenny Cargill

    Billy Guest

    Billy, Dec 4, 2003