    you don't have to declare convictions after a certain number of years)
    2) are they likely to check for criminal convictions?

    Thenks - Joe

    Joe Black, Mar 31, 2005

  2. If that has passed (and I don't know) then ticking "no" wouldn't be a lie.
    That said ...
    ... if it ever comes out, as an employer I would suggest that a minor
    conviction 20 years ago would have less effect on my trusting you than a
    recent case of lying on your application form :)

    Bruce

    -------------------------------------
    - George Bernard Shaw
    - Ambrose Bierce

    (if there were any)

    Bruce Sinclair, Mar 31, 2005

  3. Joe Black

    Rider Guest

    Yes there is a new law that wipes any small offence over 7 years old. Can't
    recall the laws name though. Gov't website will have it listed.Check here

    http://www.justice.govt.nz/pubs/other/2004/clean-slate/english.html

    Depends on the company.

    Rider, Mar 31, 2005
  4. Joe Black

    thing Guest

    Lying or deciding that after 20 years its of no consequence? I would
    suggest the latter.

    At some point I think a mistake should be allowed to die, after 20 years....

    Even if the person had done prison time, when its complete its usually
    considered that the person has done the time to society. Some jobs may
    require disclosure but I do think they should set a time limit to make
    this clear.

    Another angle, should an adult continue to "pay" for something done
    while a child? I think not.

    An angle might be blackmail though.

    I would suggest if its an agency its so vague that no I would not tell
    them initially.

    If it was a specific job at say the Police, Govn or a bank in some
    secure job then yes its probably as well to. Though again I might not
    tell them unless I was successful at a job interview, ie if offered come
    clean with "this was a very long time ago and I did not mention it,
    because of this but now I think I should.

    regards

    thing

    thing, Mar 31, 2005
  5. Agreed on all points.

    Bruce

    -------------------------------------
    - George Bernard Shaw
    - Ambrose Bierce

    (if there were any)

    Bruce Sinclair, Mar 31, 2005
  6. Joe Black

    Joe Black Guest

    Joe Black, Mar 31, 2005
  7. His only mistake may have been getting caught. Seriously, just because
    someone has a conviction doesn't mean they did anything that they, their
    potential employer, or even modern society would consider 'wrong'.

    I would probably have more of an issue with not disclosing it than the
    actual conviction itself.
    AFAIK you can't set up a political party if you have a criminal
    conviction. Does this not strike anyone as odd? If the system has
    treated you unfairly, you can't take a legitimate step to fix it!

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Mar 31, 2005
  8. Joe Black

    Jedmeister Guest

    What'd you do?

    Jedmeister, Mar 31, 2005
  9. I think that would depend on the seriousness of the conviction.

    You're not a mass-murderer, are you?

    Lawrence
    wondering if Mark Thatcher is on the USian "Do-Not-Fly" list after his
    conviction for terrorism-related offences.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Mar 31, 2005