EMPIRE STRIKES BACK alteration/fix?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by SDamien3, Sep 20, 2004.

  1. SDamien3

    SDamien3 Guest

    I despise the insertions Lucas spliced into the Cloud City getaway for the 1997
    special edition of EMPIRE. Not only is the footage of Vader returning to his
    star destroyer unnecessary plot-wise (Vader's original dialogue "bring my
    shuttle" always sufficed as far as I'm concerned), but the cutaways wreck the
    momentum of John Williams' rousing "Hyperspace" cue.

    Since lots of folks aready own the set, will someone please tell me
    definitively whether or not the 1997 special edition cutaways of Vader taxiing
    back to his ship have been deleted for the 2004 DVD cut (please, oh please!). I
    can live with Han and Greedo firing simultaneously -- so long as the garrish
    jump cut that resulted from Lucas' incessant tinkering gets smoothed over, that
    is (the terrible edit in the 1997 version of ANH is as heinous a cinematic
    crime as the political correction of Han's character, IMHO).

    This "Hyperspace" scene in ESB also illustrates the ludicrousness of Lucas'
    persistent claim that these new versions are his 'preferred' versions, the
    visions he was denied the opportunity to realize way back when because of
    financial and technological limitations and blah, blah, blah. By his own
    ill-justified logic, Lucas was apparently frustrated with ESB in 1980 because
    he couldn't yet acquire cutaway footage of the Death Star 2's Commander
    greeting Vader in the shuttle bay ... footage that would not be filmed for
    three more years for ROTJ ... footage that he would eventually splice into
    ESB's Cloud City getaway. Tripe, I say.

    "The Han Solo I grew up with would never have let Greedo get the jump on him."

    SDamien3, Sep 20, 2004

  2. SDamien3

    Yazandtony Guest

    "The Han Solo I grew up with would never have let Greedo get the jump on him."

    Umm...I think the guy who INVENTED Han might say otherwise. Get off your damn
    high horse.

    Yazandtony, Sep 20, 2004

  3. SDamien3

    mycroft Guest

    The times, they are a-changin'.

    Pre-emptive violence is now politically incorrect, especially for bona-fide
    Hollywood liberals.

    mycroft, Sep 20, 2004
  4. SDamien3

    Video Flyer Guest

    Oy. Not this again.

    Look, Hollywood movies are positively awash in characters that engage in
    "preemptive" violence and conservative types rail against THAT. You can't
    really have it both ways. Do the "Hollywood liberals" result in too MUCH
    violence or do they water it down?

    I don't know what prompted Lucas to make that change but I know this. The
    flicks are more or less his to do with as he pleases. If you want the
    originals only, there are ways to get copies - on laserdisc or VHS or dubbed
    to DVD. There are ways. Would I prefer a nicely restored copy of the OT that
    looked as good as this new boxset? Absolutely. Am I annoyed at him for not
    releasing same? You bet.

    But if he wants to decide that Han wouldn't have shot first, he's free to do
    so and make the requisite changes. But he SHOULD preserve the original
    versions, as well, as those are the films that made cinema history.

    Han SHOULD shoot first. But, oh well.

    Neal

    Video Flyer, Sep 20, 2004
  5. SDamien3

    Yazandtony Guest

    Han SHOULD shoot first. But, oh well.

    Says....you? Did you write the movie? Direct it? Or are you just a fan who
    loves his Star Wars and thinks it's all his?

    Yazandtony, Sep 20, 2004
  6. SDamien3

    SDamien3 Guest

    *sigh*

    SDamien3, Sep 20, 2004
  7. SDamien3

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    Did you write the movie? Direct it? Or are you just a fan who loves
    George Lucas unconditionally and is unable to think critically or form
    his own opinion?

    Joshua Zyber, Sep 20, 2004
  8. SDamien3

    J.S. Guest

    Well call me crazy but Lucas put the film out that way originally. He sure
    didn't seem to have that big of a problem with it.

    J.S., Sep 20, 2004
  9. SDamien3

    Video Flyer Guest

    Okay, clearly you're just picking fights. One of the points of my post was
    that yes I think that Han's shooting first was important in establishing his
    character but, hey, it's Lucas' film to do with as he pleases.

    Moreover, though, the original Star Wars trilogy was a watershed event in
    movie history. These films - taken separately or as a whole - were a
    sociological phenomenon. Lucas resuscitated a moribund genre......changed
    the way films were made....yada yada yada. To a point, all of the hyperbole
    is true. If Mr. Lucas has an appreciation for the history of his art, it
    would behoove him NOT to simply jettison the films as they were but to
    maintain them alongside any new versions he wants to augment in his search
    for perfection. And I wouldn't be at all surprised if, in the end, he didn't
    do just that - releasing them in their original form somewhere down the line
    and, not coincidentally, raking in even more bucks.

    What it comes down to is that Lucas as well as the fans and film historians
    out there should all be able to have their cake and eat it, too.

    Neal

    Video Flyer, Sep 20, 2004
  10. SDamien3

    Video Flyer Guest

    I should have mentioned here that there's an "although" attached, to wit:

    ALTHOUGH,......if he DID do this, it would reveal an absolutely unacceptable
    level of cynicism and deceit to have created the myth that the originals no
    longer existed in the first place. So, perhaps I'm wrong and he really won't
    ever release the O-OT.

    Neal

    Video Flyer, Sep 20, 2004
  11. Is somebody gonna just answer the question in the first [email protected]*in post???

    You don't know about Elijah's giant rasta eyeballs with machine guns...

    StevenMcLennan, Sep 21, 2004