EMET [enhanced mitigation experience toolkit]

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Swan Black, Dec 13, 2013.

  1. Swan Black

    Swan Black Guest

    Swan Black, Dec 13, 2013

  2. Swan Black

    Swan Black Guest

    no one has heard of this program?

    marc

    Swan Black, Jan 6, 2014

  3. Swan Black

    Paul Guest

    Yes, I've heard of it. The question would be, to what extent does
    it overlap with newer OS designs. DEP has been around for a while.
    ASLR less so. In the previous releases, the EMET web page was couched
    in terminology that suggested EMET was still beta. That's why I gave
    it a pass at the time.

    http://krebsonsecurity.com/2013/06/windows-security-101-emet-4-0/#more-20368

    (.msi and PDF user manual)

    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=39273

    I purposely don't load a lot of crap on this computer, in order
    to reduce the "number of variables" when stuff breaks. As it is,
    while I was typing this, my screen went black for two seconds.
    That's Windows 8 for you. That's excitement enough for me.
    (And when this machine runs WinXP, that *never* happens.)
    Thanks, Microsoft.

    If you're running AV software, there's likely to be some
    overlapping of protection there. The AV products though, aren't
    going to tell you what they're doing behind the scenes. The
    AV software might term their solution, something like
    heuristic detection.

    Just because I have a bad attitude about security, doesn't
    mean that others will share my views. By all means, test
    it, and see how much it interferes with things. For me,
    it's a cost/benefit thing - will it cost me anything ?
    Will it annoy me ? Don't know. Will it interact with
    any of fifty different AV softwares ? Don't know.

    Paul

    Paul, Jan 6, 2014