    numerous industry-standard, hardware-based voice codecs and LAN and
    telecom line interfaces. Vdex is an appliance: no disk drive, no
    monitor/keyboard and no noisy power supply.

    techtalk123, May 18, 2007

  2. techtalk123

    Ivor Jones Guest

    This is a newsgroup not a forum.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, May 18, 2007

  3. techtalk123

    Paul Cupis Guest

    Paul Cupis, May 18, 2007
  4. techtalk123

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    And I found that particular piece of news re the Asterisk appliance very
    useful.

    Desk Rabbit, May 18, 2007
  5. techtalk123

    Ivor Jones Guest

    No, but you seem to be doing a good job. Please return to
    uk.telecom.broadband.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, May 18, 2007
  6. techtalk123

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Good, I'm very pleased to hear it. But this group still isn't a forum.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, May 18, 2007
  7. techtalk123

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    No, it's a newsgroup and that was news. It was also news that was
    relevant to VOIP.

    Desk Rabbit, May 18, 2007
  8. techtalk123

    Ivor Jones Guest

    I wasn't disputing that.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, May 18, 2007
  9. techtalk123

    Paul Cupis Guest

    No, your original post seems to have been purely to make it known that
    you don't like a certain word.

    Paul Cupis, May 19, 2007
  10. techtalk123

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Correct.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, May 19, 2007
  11. Indeed - shame they didn't give a link, I had to google for it. Only
    interested to see how it compares with my own embedded asterisk box :)

    .... And it's in the "not quite ready" category. They're also based
    in Oztrailia... Just a bit far to send an RMA...

    There are a fair number of these on the market now - some are just boxed
    up versions of Trixbox, or some of the other (free) GUI front-ends, and
    some (like mine) have their own front-ends to them. Even Digium themselves
    have an embedded platform that's avalable for deveoper use. (it was a
    bit pricey though the last time I looked, but the box looks nice!)

    I'm not convinced an embedded asterisk box is in the "appliance" category
    yet though, even if they do have no moving parts - I wouldn't be happy
    to let someone do a self-install on one of my boxes, although it ought
    to be possible, but they are just a little bit trickier to setup than
    a Panasonic 3+8 system.. The sort of issues I've had have been to do
    with echo on existing analogue lines, and configuring desk/soft phones
    for people, and there's a balance between putting a lot of effort into
    writing a clever GUI/Web front-end to do something that you can do in 5
    seconds with a text editor... And then there's tranining ("OMG there's
    a red flashing light on my phone, is it going to blow-up???" ;-)

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, May 19, 2007