    minute for voice calls.

    Do you know of any provider not charging for inactivity or who have
    more down to earth prices, 49ct is even worse than most TelCo's?

    Jan, Jun 3, 2006

  2. The community project http://www.tpc.int/ can do that for free, but the
    delivery is not guaranteed and sometimes they add a coverpage with ads. They
    also point to other alternatives: http://www.tpc.int/alternateservices.html

    On the commercial side, you may consider www.j2.com and the related company
    www.efax.com .

    Enzo

    Enzo Michelangeli, Jun 3, 2006

  3. Jan

    Jan Guest

    efax is even more costly. They charge 11 in setup and 133 flat
    fee/year, plus usage cost. 9ct per page is only 4 times more expensive
    than Skype and 3 times more expensive than the most cosly telephone
    company. It could be ok to pay a high usage cost if I can avoid paying
    for nothing. Tried TPC, but faxes aren't always working.

    Jan, Jun 3, 2006
  4. Hmmm... In that case you could try to use real-time fax-over-IP rather than
    email-to-fax. According to
    http://www.voip-info.org//tiki-index.php?page=VOIP+Service+Providers+T.38 ,
    Gafachi, an inexpensive Pay-As-You-Go SIP provider
    (http://www.gafachi.com/product/wholesale_voip_termination/ ) supports T.38,
    and you might use a Sipura SPA-2100 with firmware version >= 3.2.X
    (http://www.sipura.com/support/spa2100faq/Section_1.html ) to have up to two
    analog FXS ports to which you might attach fax modems or fax machines.

    On the paper it should work, but I never tried it. And at
    http://www.gafachi.com/tech/main/t_general they say:

    PLEASE NOTE: Fax support is offered as a beta feature.
    It is disabled by default. You are welcome to use it,
    but please be advised that some equipment may not be
    interoperable with our network's fax support. Technical
    assistance to configure your equipment for fax will not
    be provided.

    Enzo

    Enzo Michelangeli, Jun 3, 2006
  5. Someone recommended this company to me a while back..
    http://www.faxaway.com/ I have not tried them yet.

    Jonathan Roberts, Jun 3, 2006
  6. Jan

    Jan Guest

    Thanks, not sure how I send faxes with gafachi, if they supply a
    software or not. Faxaway is USD 12/year for nothing plus USD10 security
    deposit plus 10-fold normal calling prices, this makes faxaway more
    attractive than efax.

    Jan, Jun 3, 2006
  7. With a SIP provider, you would need a fax machine or other device to send it
    across the "line".

    Jonathan Roberts, Jun 3, 2006
  8. Why is Skype your fax metric? Skype doesn't (and AFAICT never will)
    do faxing, so the comparison is meaningless. Scan the documents to
    PDF and Email them to your recipient, and it'll cost you nothing.

    William P.N. Smith, Jun 4, 2006
  9. Jan

    Carl Navarro Guest

    Almost anything looks and is better than efax, including buying a fax
    machine :)

    $20 a month for a fax number and then you pay for all outbound faxes
    is insane.

    I use MaxEmail which now costs $24 a year and a per minute charge.
    They have rates to the U.K., but they are not stated in the website.
    www.maxemail.com gets you there, but it looks like your faxaway might
    be a better deal.

    Carl Navarro

    Carl Navarro, Jun 5, 2006
  10. Jan

    B. Wright Guest

    I have used Faxaway and can not recommend it for anything beyond
    a cheap incoming fax number, if that. The system they use seems to be
    the same antiquated system which was probably there to begin with and
    they've been too lazy/cheap to update it. It deals with document
    format conversion very poorly and delivery is suspect at best, I have had
    CCIT Group 3 Fax standards encoded .tif files rejected by their system.
    You have to constantly babysit the faxes sent through them to see if they
    failed by some quirk or not. Their customer service is also complete
    crap if you have a problem. My advice is to look at other providers
    besides them if you need reliability.

    B. Wright, Jun 5, 2006
  11. Jan

    Kyler Laird Guest

    Note that there's also at least one T.38 software modem.
    http://www.openh323.org/t38.html
    I contacted Gafachi a couple weeks ago and was told that although this
    is a "beta feature" they plan to continue offering it.

    It requires a few steps but I'm hoping to get t38modem working with my
    Asterisk host and Gafachi account. That will open a lot of
    possibilities for me. Unfortunately it looks like some more patching of
    Asterisk is necessary.
    http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+fax

    Now, if we also had a patch for at least one of the Asterisk
    H323 channels this patch then you could run Asterisk and Hylafax
    with T38modem (by www.openh323.org) on the same box and
    terminate T.38 calls.

    This bug entry makes me think that it will be awhile until Asterisk can
    handle T.38.
    http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=5090

    --kyler

    Kyler Laird, Jun 5, 2006