    it, but there is a test message that can be sent to verify that an email
    account is up and running but does not require any interaction with the
    email account holder to verify. Anybody remember it?

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jan 24, 2005

  2. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

    THEOLDONE Guest

    Try sending yourself an e-mail with the subject as "Test"

    THEOLDONE, Jan 24, 2005

  3. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

    Pennywise Guest

    |> I've seen before and now don't remember enough to even do a Google on
    |> it, but there is a test message that can be sent to verify that an email
    |> account is up and running but does not require any interaction with the
    |> email account holder to verify. Anybody remember it?

    I use Netinfo for this, (Not for XP)
    http://netinfo.tsarfin.com/

    Pennywise, Jan 24, 2005
  4. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

    Mike Easter Guest

    The vrfy & expn commands generally don't work, aren't accepted. The
    rcpt to command /might/ work, but some servers accept a rctp to whether
    it works or not, and will also accept a bogus rcpt to, so that has to be
    tested. You can do it with a script or 'free style' telnet. Here's a
    sample exchange of SSwin's script:

    01/24/05 08:23:10 SMTP Verify , at mxc.target.com
    Contacting target.ip.addy
    220 mx-a065b28.pas.sa.target.com EL_3_9_13_21 / ESMTP Target SMTP Server
    Mon, 24 Jan 2005 08:21:31 -0800 (PST)
    HELO target.com
    250 mx-a065b28.pas.sa.target.com Hello target.com [64.203.51.197],
    please to meet you
    VRFY
    502 Command unrecognized "VRFY "
    Doesn't want to talk to us
    RSET
    250 reset state
    EXPN
    502 Command unrecognized "EXPN"
    Doesn't want to talk to us
    RSET
    250 reset state
    MAIL FROM:<>
    250 <>... Sender ok
    RCPT TO:<>
    250 <>... Recipient ok
    RCPT TO:<>
    550 ...User unknown
    Doesn't want to talk to us
    RSET
    250 reset state QUIT
    221 mx-a065b28.pas.sa.target.com closing connection

    In this example, the server accepted the mail to of the target and
    refused the bogus, so the target is verified at that address.

    But some servers like RR will accept the mailto the target and accept
    the bogus, so the target can't be verified as a real username there.

    Mike Easter, Jan 24, 2005
  5. Google keystring eicar

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 25, 2005