email notifying program

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Fakename, Feb 22, 2008.

  1. Fakename

    Fakename Guest

    Good morning, buenas dias, kalimer, ummmm morena!

    OK... I'm looking for a simple program that notifies me of email by way
    of playing a *.wav sound.

    Yes yes I know there are applications that do this but it needs to do
    just a little bit more for me for my requirement... see below..

    1)
    Notify me if email arrives into any one of my 3 accounts but playing a
    different *.wav sound for each (for my needs) These email accounts ARE
    NOT WEB BASED!

    2)
    Has filters that I can set so that the system will only notify me if
    email from certain people and NOT say anything if it receives stuff from
    people I am not interested in like spammers.

    3)
    Runs on XP.

    Note, I do know programs are out there that will do #1 but they also
    notify me when I receive ANYTHING... I dont want this.

    Please if you know a tidy app that can do this then please let me know.

    Thanks..

    R e a l n a m e : T a n e M a c D o n a l d
    R e a l a d d r e s s : t a n e @ m u g w h y . c o m

    Fakename, Feb 22, 2008

  2. Have a look at Thunderbird with the Mailbox Alert plugin.

    Even so most programs which support message filtering allow you to play sounds,
    or run programs which play sounds, based on arbitrary criteria.

    Mark Robinson, Feb 22, 2008

  3. POP and/or IMAP? Do you just want to poll those mailboxes, or actually
    download the mail into a common location at the same time?
    Why not write your own? There and POP and IMAP modules available for both
    Perl and Python, just for example.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 22, 2008
  4. Fakename

    Ross Guest

    PopTray 3.2 (I've used this for about 3 years)
    This POP3 email checker can check up to 20 accounts with a different
    notification sound for each. PopTray lists the messages in a ListView
    with a quick preview function. You can create rules allowing you to
    play different notifications or delete messages according to text
    contained in the header/from/to/subject area.
    If has a button to launch your regular email client if you wish to do
    more advanced stuff with your messages.

    Ross, Feb 23, 2008
  5. Fakename

    Fakename Guest

    Hey thanks!!! I will look into this! I am currently trying "Chrysanth
    Mail Manager" but according to your description, what you suggest looks
    much better!

    Thank you,
    Tane
    t a n e @ m u g w h y . c o m