    anyone else run the same config and have it working ??

    Cheers
    Mike

    Mike O'Brien, Nov 1, 2004

  2. Mike O'Brien

    PseUDO Guest

    You need to change your outgoing smtp server to xtra's smtp server
    setting, and keep the incoming pop server as ihug.

    PseUDO

    PseUDO, Nov 1, 2004

  3. Mike O'Brien

    Gurble Guest

    Hi, Mike.

    You need to change your outgoing (SMTP) mail server in Outlook from
    Ihug's to:

    smtp.xtra.co.nz

    Leave the POP3 settings as they are.

    HTH.

    Gurble, Nov 1, 2004
  4. Why are you trying to connect to Ihug's SMTP server when you can use the
    Xtra one? It doesn't care what email address you are posting from.

    Patrick Dunford, Nov 1, 2004
  5. Mike O'Brien

    Craig Shore Guest

    As the others have said, set your server for sending mail (SMTP) in outlook to
    Xtra's mail server. It'll just use that to send the mail, it will still maintain
    your settings saying your email address is @ihug.co.nz and any replies will go
    there.
    The alternative, guessing, is that you check your email first then send through
    ihug within a very short time. The checking your email will authenticate you as
    a genuine ihug user with your username and password, and it will then permit you
    to send email through them. You need to do that as the protocol for sending the
    email has no authentication ability.

    Craig Shore, Nov 1, 2004
  6. Mike O'Brien

    Mike O'Brien Guest

    Thanks to everyone for there advice
    But why as a iHug user paying $28.95 a month can't I send via iHugs
    SMTPserver ?
    It will be interesting to see if iHugs helpdesk tell me to set my outgoing
    SMTP setting to Xtra's !!!

    Mike O'Brien, Nov 1, 2004
  7. The SMTP protocol makes no provision for authenticating the user. In
    order to guard against servers being open to any user (for example,
    spammers), a variety of methods are used to authenticate.

    The vast majority of ISPs use the sender's IP address for SMTP
    authentication. If you are connected via Xtra then your IP address will
    not be in Ihug's list of IP addresses and thus your connection will be
    rejected.

    If you want to use Ihug to send email, use your Ihug connection to do so.

    Patrick Dunford, Nov 1, 2004
  8. Mike O'Brien

    Mike O'Brien Guest

    Patrick,
    Thanks for the info. It suprises me after several emails to the iHug
    helpdesk they don't come straight to the point adn tell me what everyone
    else has. Instead of saying try this and try that.

    Mike

    Mike O'Brien, Nov 1, 2004
  9. The Ihug helpdesk may be talking about RFC2554 SMTP authentication. I
    believe there's an option to do this in Outlook and Outlook Express.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 2, 2004
  10. Mike O'Brien

    EMB Guest

    And Thunderbird

    EMB, Nov 2, 2004
  11. Yep, ihug mail servers support SMTP auth.
    In Outlook and OE the option to select is 'My outgoing mailserver requires
    authentication'. When selected it defaults to send the same details as your
    using for your incoming mail server, which in your case will be your xtra
    account details. This won't work obviously so you'll need to specify your
    ihug login name and password.

    Cheers,

    Taryn

    Taryn Hamilton, Nov 4, 2004