email connects but browser has trouble

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Jeff, Mar 16, 2006.

  1. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    I have internet access through a cable modem and a home network in Windows.

    What would cause me having intermittent trouble connecting with my browser
    while my email and home network have no problems connecting? The problem is
    intermittent and I believe is not caused by browser settings because the
    browser (either IE6 or Firefox) will connect fine a number of times and then
    suddenly no longer connect to the very same websites giving the "Server not
    found" error. Why it connects sometimes and cannot find the server at other
    times is what I cannot figure out. I do have a firewall (ZoneAlarm free)
    but I have not changed its settings.

    Looking at the Firewall alert logs - and these listings do NOT correspond to
    when I am having trouble - I see that sometimes Zone Alarm will allow a
    connection to go through to another PC on my network and other times will
    block access to the same PC even though I have its ip is added to my trusted
    zone! Maybe the difference has to do with the ports used? The blocked
    attempts are from my 1662, 1659, 3436, 3434, 3430, 3425, etc. port to the
    other pc's 139 port - if that explains anything. I do not know enough about
    how ports work to understand this.

    Any advice would be very appreciated.

    Jeff

    Jeff, Mar 16, 2006

  2. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Just to clarify, intermittently it may be both email AND browser that cannot
    connect. It is the Network (accessing files) that never fails. Sometimes
    the email works when the browser cannot connect and sometimes both go out.

    Jeff

    Jeff, Mar 16, 2006