    Smoker Guest

    Is their a foolproof way to put your email address on Web pages so that
    spammer robots can't pick it up?

    Smoker, Aug 7, 2004

  2. Smoker

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Smoker vaguely muttered something like ...
    As a picture maybe ...

    Paul - xxx, Aug 7, 2004

  3. Smoker

    Smoker Guest

    Thanks, perhaps we misunderstand each other. The robots pick up the HTML
    <"mail to"> code, regardless if an email address appears on the face of the
    page or not.

    An email address can be coded, but they're onto all the codes AFAIK.

    Smoker, Aug 7, 2004
  4. Smoker

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Smoker vaguely muttered something like ...
    If the website address can be clicked and thus launch an email program, then
    a bot can collect it ... Pictures make the sender of email work a little,
    but they _do_ guarantee that bots can't harvest the address .. ;)

    Paul - xxx, Aug 7, 2004
  5. Smoker

    Smoker Guest

    Sorry Paul. I get you now. Type the email addy on the pic, right? Thanks
    I'll give that a shot.

    Smoker, Aug 7, 2004
  6. Smoker

    why? Guest

    As mentioned , using a picture.
    Since 'mail to; is fairly evil anyway, using it gives one what one
    deserves. Perhaps a form it can be processed server side sending the
    mail without without having to make any mail addresses visible.

    IIRC there is a mail to encryptor, but haven't heard of it for a while.

    Try the alt.html.* group(s), it's a fairly common subject,
    http://groups.google.com/groups?group=alt.html
    Will always happen.

    Me

    why?, Aug 7, 2004
  7. Smoker

    Bob Guest

    I've used this site a few times with mixed results
    (http://ktmatu.com/info/email-address-obfuscator/). I'd be interested to
    hear people's opinions.

    Bob, Aug 8, 2004
  8. Smoker

    SgtMinor Guest

    SgtMinor, Aug 8, 2004
  9. Whatcha going to do for people using text/aural browsers?

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 8, 2004
  10. Smoker

    Smoker Guest

    Thank you Bob.

    I believe this is one of those encryptions that spammers have picked off
    long ago.
    In their own bottom line words, "This method is not 100% foolproof!"

    Suppose that spammers have their own newsgroups/networks? Just like here,
    the experts share their knowledge with the novices and in-betweens?

    My results were mixed just like yours during the first week of trying
    Obfuscator, but I feel like Obfuscator was obfuscated almost entirely during
    its first month of giving us a temporary block.

    My ISP is Verizon, and I never, ever, get spam via the email address I have
    with them. It is all from my Web site that redirects the email thru Verizon.

    And I wonder what does WhoIs and the various registrars do, that domain name
    owners and their email addresses don't get spammed via that avenue?

    I can't help but think that there is something we are all missing -- and
    I've always regarded this as the best and longest lived site on the Internet
    for curing problems... where the main experts are.

    I appreciate all the responses to this thread and hope we can keep it going
    until we reach a resolution that will stop spam once and for all. If we can
    stop it from scouting our email addresses on Web sites, it will be easy to
    stop trivial spams from entering our email inboxes.

    I had a problem of illegal file linking to the tune of 70GB a month and it
    only took a program that blocked such from outside sources when you choose
    to block any file extension that was called for as a jpg, jpeg, avi, mov,
    gif, etc., whatever you specify.

    Of course you can spec filters to block emails that have no source of origin
    on your PC, except how can you do this on the Internet when most of your
    important email comes from those who visit your site?

    Sorry to be lengthy. Let's put our heads together and figure this out.

    Smoker, Aug 8, 2004
  11. Smoker

    Plato Guest

    Best way is to use a graphic to display your email address. Second best
    way follows:

    http://www.bootdisk.com/bootlist/107.htm#1

    Plato, Aug 8, 2004
  12. Smoker

    WormWood Guest

    Certainly.....record a .wav file of the spoken addie and embed it under
    a link named "email". :)

    WormWood, Aug 8, 2004
  13. What's to figure out? Use a form.

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 8, 2004
  14. Smoker

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Blinky the Shark vaguely muttered something like ...
    Heheheh, swotiwusthinkin ... ;)

    Paul - xxx, Aug 8, 2004
  15. Smoker

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Smoker vaguely muttered something like ...
    Nice sentiments, but that's exactly what all the 'obfuscator' type apps have
    been trying to do, professionally, for years .. ;)

    Unfortunately, unless you can control who even looks at your site, then
    using any kind of a link is a chink in the protection. Any code you devise
    to stop spammers is likely to also stop legitimate customers who are,
    probably, less sopohisticated in website design than the spammers are.

    What kind of visitor do you want to email you ?

    Are they existing customers after information, new customers, prospective
    customers, general public just browsing, is your site well advertised, is
    the site an authoritative site that generates a lot of email questions, does
    the site offer services etc etc.

    There are hundreds of similar questions to be asked before determining what
    kind of code you need, the levels of access required, the type of protection
    you need etc etc

    If you rely on the site for income then it may be worth your while employing
    a decent web designer, even if only for a consultation, to determine your
    exact requirements. Designing your email and spam 'protection' by
    committee, this newsgroup, will only lead to a half-assed attempt with
    different views opposing others ...

    Personally, I'd put up with the spam, but use Mailwasher or somesuch, if
    stopping spam even remotely meant that I lost one customer ... the one
    customer who could easily be after exactly what I'm selling, and wanted
    thousands of them, and would set me up for life if they emailed me. ;)

    Paul - xxx, Aug 8, 2004