    direct current?
    Your thoughts much appreciated.
    Frank

    frank1492, Sep 24, 2003

  2. frank1492

    Paul Heslop Guest

    My son brought some gadget back from the states, complete with some
    adapter which was supposed to be safe for use in the UK, plugged it in
    and, yup, blam!
    Our mains voltage is high end.

    Paul Heslop, Sep 24, 2003

  3. No, all UK supplies are AC, 230V nominal. This is the same voltage
    standard as is used throughout much of Europe. No DC - that disappeared
    years ago!

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Sep 24, 2003
  4. frank1492

    frank1492 Guest

    Then what do you think happens? I am not alone
    in having problems.

    frank1492, Sep 24, 2003
  5. That sub-standard or untested parts or designs are being put into
    equipment to reduce the cost. Do these vendors actually test on realistic
    230V supplies? Do they produce equipment which conforms to UK standards?
    I _have_ heard of reports of 110V equipment with unsuitable "convertors"
    to 230V failing, but that should be a different issue.

    If there was a significant problem in general with 110/230V "world" power
    supplies all of the UK would be up in arms about it.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Sep 24, 2003
  6. frank1492

    VT Guest

    I have an old US Canon S100 Digital ELPH (the first version) with
    battery charger CB-2L (might also be older style)

    The charger has been used in England numerous times without any
    problems.

    VT, Sep 24, 2003
  7. The charger has been used in England numerous times without any
    problems.

    And I have had no problems with mine in Germany, France, Italy, and
    Portugal.

    Douglas W. Hoyt, Sep 24, 2003
  8. frank1492

    frank1492 Guest

    Thank you (most of you) for expressing confidence
    in the European power grid...:)
    It could be that this charger was simply defective,
    I don't know. Or it could have been a surge. The fact
    remains that there have been enough cases of problems
    like mine reported that I would have to assume some degree
    of poor regulation in some locations. OTOH I guess the
    U.S. may have similar problems from time to time as well.
    I don't suppose I'll ever know what caused this, but I will
    be ordering a new charger soon.
    Thanks so much to all of you for your help!
    Frank

    frank1492, Sep 24, 2003
  9. frank1492

    B.Server Guest

    Some multi-voltage powersupplies are "auto-ranging" and some are
    switch set. The auto ranging supplies will sense the voltage on the
    input leads and adjust accordingly. The others typically have a slide
    switch that permits the selection of 100-120 or 220-240 VAC. If you
    have the latter and did not switch it, there goes the supply.

    The other source of problems comes with poorly designed (probably
    illegal in the EU) adapters for North American plugs to the various
    international recepticals. Many of the European recepicals have
    safety interlocks that many of the adapters defeat. Perhaps your
    power supply depends on a standard ground/earth that is unavailable
    when used with a bad adapter?

    B.Server, Sep 28, 2003