    of hectic society such as flight paths, dual carriageways, power
    stations etc would stay out of our way.

    Even new neighbours seem to be getting noiser.

    AnthonyL, Feb 4, 2015

  2. AnthonyL

    AnthonyL Guest

    I can see the A&E from my bedroom window!!

    AnthonyL, Feb 4, 2015

  3. AnthonyL

    Martin Brown Guest

    They do eventually get aroundtuit. Expect plenty of chaos when they
    start disturbing ancient wiring in the old cabinets as they migrate folk
    onto the new FTTC kit.
    We are in the danger zone for one of the UKs high pressure distribution
    pipelines but also have no gas in the village!

    Martin Brown, Feb 4, 2015
  4. "Davey" wrote
    anybody had even thought of connecting to the internet. We have fibre, [...]

    On average, I understand, people move every 10 years.

    Of course they may not move very far so a current 'choice' may be strongly
    constrained by where your parents moved to in 1970 or the job you were doing
    in 1990 or even your holidays as a child.

    Michael R N Dolbear, Feb 4, 2015
  5. AnthonyL

    tony sayer Guest

    Well if you need yet more higher then the windows;>

    Seriously we managed to get a mobile signal in a very heavily wooded
    area in darkest Narfolke boi and it worked a treat, hardly any signal at
    ground level.

    tony sayer, Feb 4, 2015
  6. AnthonyL

    bert Guest

    Perhaps I should have made it clearer, They have chosen to move there. I
    personally was born in a very rural area and wild horses wouldn't drag
    me back.
    You want it you pay for it.

    bert, Feb 4, 2015
  7. Alternatively: we all need it, we all pay for it.

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Feb 4, 2015
  8. AnthonyL

    Peter Guest

    That's already true for most upmarket phone systems, de facto.

    The solution is a cheap UPS for the phone system.

    Peter, Feb 6, 2015
  9. AnthonyL

    Peter Guest

    I know a guy who ran a wifi link across a few miles, using two dish
    antennae, to somebody with ADSL. He then paid him a contribution.
    There is various equipment out there, not necessarily legal, which
    will do this.

    Peter, Feb 6, 2015
  10. AnthonyL

    AnthonyL Guest

    Well I (the OP) did this for many years. My office, which had the
    ADSL, was within line of sight of home, albeit only 400m away. So
    with a couple of Linksys WAPs setup as a bridge, and a couple of
    cantenna aerials, I had a speed in excess of the broadband, access to
    the office (or home) systems, and no further cost for broadband at
    home.

    The bridge was rock solid - I don't recall it ever going down and
    needing reboot. The only time I had an issue was when the local
    farmer's apple tree needed lopping to maintain clear line of sight.

    All the equipment is up in the loft and is up for offers if anyone is
    interested.

    AnthonyL, Feb 6, 2015
  11. We chose to live in the country.

    We can have a thatched cottage with a decent garden and rural views, and
    I can drive into the city every day.

    Or we can have a terrace in the city with no parking and a garden 30ft
    square for the same money.

    There _are_ houses we'd like in the middle - but we can't afford them.
    And this is just a little city.

    Andy

    Vir Campestris, Feb 6, 2015
  12. AnthonyL

    Phil W Lee Guest

    Why, when I've got mine plugged into the main 3000VA one (with
    extended run external batteries), along with the computers?
    The IT stuff starts shutting down at 25%, and once it's done, there is
    still at least 20% left for the phone - which should be enough for a
    day or few.

    Phil W Lee, Feb 6, 2015
  13. AnthonyL

    Martin Brown Guest

    Or a much cheaper line classic powered phone. My office phone will work
    perfectly well during a power cut. But the LCD display will eventually
    fade when the internal AAA batteries run down after a month or two.

    The wireless answerphone is obviously not going to work without mains.

    Martin Brown, Feb 7, 2015
  14. AnthonyL

    tony sayer Guest

    There is a lot of equipment that will do just that and it is legal very
    much so, use the 5.8 GHz band C for that!...

    http://www.wifi-stock.co.uk/details/nanobridge_m5_25.html

    tony sayer, Feb 7, 2015
  15. AnthonyL

    Peter Guest

    20km range - that's incredible. That opens up all kinds of ADSL
    sharing scenarios!

    Peter, Feb 7, 2015
  16. AnthonyL

    tony sayer Guest

    Yes well that depends on a line of sight path that has fresnel zone
    clearance etc, but those distances are doable :)

    Have a play around with their calculator, takes a bit of getting used to
    but it doesn't cope with any buildings or trees etc in the way which can
    affect useful ranges...

    http://airlink.ubnt.com/

    tony sayer, Feb 7, 2015
  17. AnthonyL

    Graham J Guest

    Done this in flat areas north of Holbeach, for the farming community.
    Even here, the civil engineering challenges for getting the antennae
    high enough are significant.

    For anything really serious, the one-time charge for fibre (FTTP)
    installation (typically £50k) might well represent better value ...

    Graham J, Feb 8, 2015
  18. AnthonyL

    tony sayer Guest

    Done this in flat areas north of Holbeach, for the farming community.
    Even here, the civil engineering challenges for getting the antennae
    high enough are significant.[/QUOTE]

    No grain Silos then;?.. What gear are you using BTW?..
    Yesss;>....

    tony sayer, Feb 8, 2015
  19. AnthonyL

    Graham J Guest

    No grain Silos then;?.. What gear are you using BTW?..[/QUOTE]

    Never in the right place ...!

    Initially Tranzeo TR6 or TR-RT, then more recently Engenius EOC5611P

    Graham J, Feb 8, 2015
  20. AnthonyL

    tony sayer Guest

    Never in the right place ...!

    Initially Tranzeo TR6 or TR-RT, then more recently Engenius EOC5611P
    [/QUOTE]

    Haven't met those Tranzo ones but we used to use the 5611 series but
    have found them to be that good especially in UK band C for point to
    point links. The older NOC-8610 series were very good, got some very
    good performances out of them but now gone out of production.

    We are finding the Ubiquity units to be good and more versatile than the
    older units FWIW...

    tony sayer, Feb 8, 2015