    I think some of the Giffgaff offerings are cheaper than that - need to
    check router/tethering though.

    I seem to recall issues with snow and fog. Pipex IIRC.

    AnthonyL, Feb 2, 2015

  2. That's because the batteries in the pavement cabinets have a relatively
    short life - cooked in the summer and freezing in the winter - and it
    costs too much to replace them on a regular basis so they don't seem to
    bother!

    Peter

    Peter Andrews, Feb 2, 2015

  3. AnthonyL

    Roland Perry Guest

    You might be surprised how much your reception would improve if you
    added an aerial to the dongle, and especially a directional one mounted
    outdoors. Indoors with an omnidirectional one I used to find myself
    getting perfectly usable connectivity when the dongle alone claimed
    there was no signal. You wouldn't run a terrestrial TV without an
    aerial, I assume.

    (Actually, I used to know someone who ran their 405 TV without an
    aerial, but all they wanted to receive was the BBC, and they lived about
    five miles from Crystal Palace).

    Roland Perry, Feb 2, 2015
  4. AnthonyL

    Graham J Guest

    [snip]

    I support a good many users who achieve about 1.5 mbits/sec with 60dB
    loss. I've managed to make their connections reliable, but none of them
    are willing to move house to improve the situation.

    Graham J, Feb 2, 2015
  5. AnthonyL

    Graham J Guest

    What's required is a 3G dongle containing a modem, and with an Ethernet
    connection incorporating PoE; all built into a waterproof housing. You
    could then connect it via outdoor grade Cat5 cable to the WAN port of an
    Ethernet router (via the necessary poE injector).

    Put this on top of a 100ft pole and you would probably get reasonable
    signals. As to whether the 3G network can cope with contention from
    several users in the same cell ....?

    Graham J, Feb 2, 2015
  6. AnthonyL

    7 Guest

    As far as I know, the law entitles you to come together as a group
    if you are in a rural area and install fiber/broadband/etc to homes by
    cooperating and sharing the expenses. I believe you can probably invoice the
    encumband provider in that area and/or get it refunded by various means
    so that you are not unfairly left out of pocket.

    7, Feb 2, 2015
  7. AnthonyL

    Roland Perry Guest

    I disagree, the dongle can be indoors with only the aerial poking
    through a window.

    Roland Perry, Feb 2, 2015
  8. AnthonyL

    Graham J Guest

    Not all of us have a window at a suitable height.

    By contrast outdoor Cat 5 cable could be led up a wall to the highest
    point, perhaps adjacent to the TV antenna on the chimney ....

    Graham J, Feb 2, 2015
  9. Our TV works fine from inside the roof, even without an amp. - we even
    have passive diplexer.

    Phones? Best you go outside for mobile. It might work if you go over by
    the window, and don't move during the call. It's not even the same
    window for myself and my wife - different networks.

    On the other hand they're pulling fibre, and I hope to get 20 megs or so
    off that. I get 4.5 off plain old ADSL.

    BTW you have all seen this?

    <http://xkcd.com/1457/>

    Andy

    Vir Campestris, Feb 2, 2015
  10. AnthonyL

    Roland Perry Guest

    Although I've never failed to get sufficient connectivity by picking the
    least-worst window to poke such an aerial through.
    Very long CAT5 will be more successful than very long aerial cable, but
    another option would be to move a gadget like a MiFi, or a
    dongle-enabled router (and their power supplies) as high as possible.

    Roland Perry, Feb 2, 2015
  11. AnthonyL

    Davey Guest

    Don't hold your breath. The fact that it is pulled is no guide to when
    it will be useable.

    Davey, Feb 2, 2015
  12. They call it "Dark Fibre", even though that sounds more like a better
    name for a sci-fi movie villain.

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Feb 3, 2015
  13. AnthonyL

    AnthonyL Guest

    Who's that with? I use 1899 but mobiles are 10p/min there (6p at
    weekends only).

    AnthonyL, Feb 3, 2015
  14. AnthonyL

    tony sayer Guest

    But height is very useful;)...

    tony sayer, Feb 3, 2015
  15. AnthonyL

    Roland Perry Guest

    So stick it all next to an upstairs window.

    Roland Perry, Feb 3, 2015
  16. AnthonyL

    DrTeeth Guest

    On Sun, 01 Feb 2015 13:16:45 GMT, just as I was about to take a herb,
    You made your bed...
    Would you like an A&E dept next door as well, just in case?
    --
    Cheers,

    DrT

    ** You've never known happiness until you're married;
    ** but by then it is too late.

    DrTeeth, Feb 3, 2015
  17. AnthonyL

    bert Guest

    According to NFU insurance a year or so ago 78% of people who live in a
    rural area have chosen to do so. So no sympathy here for your whinging.

    bert, Feb 3, 2015
  18. AnthonyL

    bert Guest

    And a bank and a post office and a corner shop and a 15 minute bus
    service.

    bert, Feb 3, 2015
  19. Hasn't everybody?

    I would have thought that the only people who *haven't* chosen to live
    wherever they live will be those who live behind bars.

    Proximity to work, or relatives, or shops, or schools, or public
    transport, etc etc will presumably have been part of that choice, but
    it's probably next to impossible to choose anywhere that has
    everything you need.

    Modern life everywhere has become so dependent on communication
    services that perhaps it is time to regard them as another essential
    public service like running water, electricity and sewage.

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Feb 4, 2015
  20. AnthonyL

    Davey Guest

    And our choice to live in the country was made many moons before
    anybody had even thought of connecting to the internet. We have fibre,
    at least underground. It just doesn't do anything yet, even though our
    connection date was supposed to be last September.
    There used to be a gas plant in the village, but that died a long time
    ago. We even have a British Gas engineer living nearby, just no Gas.

    Davey, Feb 4, 2015