Eliminating the phone line

Discussion in 'Broadband' started by AnthonyL, Feb 1, 2015.

  1. AnthonyL

    AnthonyL Guest

    How practical is it to eliminate the phone line and what should
    replace it?

    I'm out in the sticks so ADSL delivers 1.5Mbps on a good day. I'm
    with BT at the moment and I'm in the last 3 months of a 12 month deal.
    Exchange has no LLU.

    We have about 3 or 4 devices using the router, mainly wireless. We
    have a couple of mobile phones (one Android one still on 2G).

    Outgoing POTS calling is low. Incoming is moderate (more so with
    unwanted calls).

    ADSL download usage approx 25Gb/month.

    We do have wireless internet available but it is expensive.

    Options? Cost effectiveness? Other things to consider?

    Thanks

    AnthonyL, Feb 1, 2015

  2. AnthonyL

    Kraftee Guest

    Well you've answered your own question haven't you.

    DSL requires a copper path so there is no way you can have it without a line
    but you are lucky enough to have a Wireless connection available (not
    everybody in the 'sticks' is that lucky) which you are ruling out because of
    the expense.

    Kraftee, Feb 1, 2015

  3. AnthonyL

    7 Guest

    I've not had one for minimum last 15 years.
    Mobile phones have been 100% effective replacement and have
    helped me out from a lot of problem situations compared to any other
    competing technology.

    I use PAP2 and VoIP provider like Localphone.
    Plenty of other gadgets and service providers.

    Localphone also allows permanent numbers in your area
    to be sent to your PAP2 (or other similar devices).
    So it works like a land line number.

    Since its VoIP you can purchase numbers in Spain, EU,
    and most countries across the globe. It for example
    gives your parents a local Spanish number if they live in Spain
    to ring you and it will be whisked to your PAP2 wherever you
    are in the world.

    Many other service providers nowadays do similar technology
    - so shop around for best deals, particularly if involving
    Far East or US.

    7, Feb 1, 2015
  4. AnthonyL

    Chris Guest

    With that amount of usage, i don't see mobile broadband as a
    viable alternative. You don't say whether you have 3/4G
    available?
    I think wired is your only option, but BT probably isn't the
    cheapest. I'd recommend plusnet as a cheaper alternative.

    ----Android NewsGroup Reader----
    http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

    Chris, Feb 1, 2015
  5. AnthonyL

    Roland Perry Guest

    Yes, the only option is to find a BT reseller, one of whose offerings
    you can game (given your particular usage pattern) to be cheaper than
    the plain vanilla BT.

    Roland Perry, Feb 1, 2015
  6. AnthonyL

    Invalid Guest

    With that amount of usage, i don't see mobile broadband as a
    viable alternative. You don't say whether you have 3/4G
    available?
    I think wired is your only option, but BT probably isn't the
    cheapest. I'd recommend plusnet as a cheaper alternative.

    ----Android NewsGroup Reader----
    http://usenet.sinaapp.com/[/QUOTE]

    Given the OP's position (no LLU) he is almost certainly going to be on a
    Market 1 exchange. Plusnet is not a particularly good deal on Market 1
    exchanges. They are outside what they call their "low cost area" and you
    pay £5-7+/month extra on top of their headline rates.

    That said the service & support is good - just not as cheap as it might
    appear.

    Invalid, Feb 1, 2015
  7. Move house?

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Feb 1, 2015
  8. AnthonyL

    Roger Mills Guest

    Is there anyone who's significantly cheaper than PN on Market 1 exchanges?
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger

    Roger Mills, Feb 1, 2015
  9. AnthonyL

    tony sayer Guest

    With that amount of usage, i don't see mobile broadband as a
    viable alternative. You don't say whether you have 3/4G
    available?
    I think wired is your only option, but BT probably isn't the
    cheapest. I'd recommend plusnet as a cheaper alternative.
    [/QUOTE]

    Or Zen we use them for some lines out in the sticks A UK call centre.
    OK if you call Oldham that, if thats not too far north of Watford;!..

    http://www.zen.co.uk/home-office/voice/phone-services.aspx

    tony sayer, Feb 1, 2015
  10. AnthonyL

    notyalckram Guest

    It is plausible, but there are caveats.

    You can use 3G or 4G instead of DSL. The speed is fine where I am (urban), but can be much lower or non existent in the sticks. Moreover the cost could be much higher if you can't find a package with a high or no limit.

    You land line number can be ported to VOIP, so no problem there (better even, you can appear to call from / receive calls at home when you are not actually there)

    If you are really remote have a look at satellite, at least for the down link.

    notyalckram, Feb 1, 2015
  11. AnthonyL

    Martin Brown Guest

    It is doable but you have to consider the side effects.
    Like losing the landline means no emergency calls in a power cut.
    Statistics off the router might shed some light. The bell wire hack is
    worth trying if you haven't done it already gives +30-50% speed gain.
    You must be seriously remote to be down in the sub 2MB/s range. I get
    around 4Mpbs on a 3 mile line with 47dB attenuation.
    That is the killer. If your usage was under 10GB then there might be
    sensible options on 3G with a fixed directional aerial and router.
    The microwave based wireless service if available is your best bet if
    you want fast broadband and bandwidth out in the sticks.

    Martin Brown, Feb 2, 2015
  12. AnthonyL

    Optimist Guest

    My VM line goes dead after a few minutes when there's a power cut.

    Optimist, Feb 2, 2015
  13. AnthonyL

    Martin Brown Guest

    I was meaning POTS as was implied by the OPs rural location.

    I'd be very surprised if he had either of mains gas or cable TV.

    Martin Brown, Feb 2, 2015
  14. AnthonyL

    John Guest

    Martin Brown formulated the question :
    Another downside is that it could become more expensive for people to
    call you. I pay a 5p call setup charge then 0p/min to call landlines
    but that goes up to 6p/min to call mobiles, so if the OP only has a
    mobile I'd be billing him lol

    John, Feb 2, 2015
  15. AnthonyL

    Roland Perry Guest

    VM isn't using ADSL (well, normally), and yes, their street cabinets
    require mains power - but I think they are supposed to have a certain
    amount of battery backup.

    Roland Perry, Feb 2, 2015
  16. AnthonyL

    Paul Herber Guest

    Lots of Lolly?

    Paul Herber, Feb 2, 2015
  17. AnthonyL

    AnthonyL Guest

    Mobile phone?
    Many folk in the village with their old BT phone sockets (no master
    socket) suffer with .5Mpbs. I was around at one neighbour and kept
    hitting buttons thinking that the system had hung when in fact it was
    just plain slow. I have one of the better lines and a master socket
    into which I connect directly.

    Maybe I'll try tethering the 3G Android and see what sort of download
    speeds I get.
    I'll double check the costs. I had it years ago before ADSL came into
    the village. The incarnation then was 512kbits up and down and it
    wasn't terribly reliable.

    AnthonyL, Feb 2, 2015
  18. AnthonyL

    AnthonyL Guest

    Correct - no mains gas, no cable, no street lights. We do have
    electricity and we get coal deliveries and TV!! Oh and we get the VM
    leaflets but they won't let us sign up. One neighbour signed up with
    an all inclusive TalkTalk contract and went through a right rigmarole
    when they realised we didn't have LLU.

    AnthonyL, Feb 2, 2015
  19. AnthonyL

    Martin Brown Guest

    Base stations go down pretty quickly after power is lost.
    The only places round here that are quite that bad have a strange
    mixture of corroded aluminium and copper wiring between them and the
    exchange. A few unlucky souls in a neighbouring village that is
    similarly afflicted by this would be better off with bonded ISDN!

    The bell wire hack is worth a try if you haven't already done it.
    http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm
    (try at your own risk - it worked for me and +50% is worth it!)
    Worth a try. Although if you were to do it seriously then a 10dB gain
    directional aerial high up will get you a much better signal.

    My Mifi at home on Three is faster than my ADSL most times but the data
    charges do sting a bit. Best buy at present on a casual PAYG throwaway
    basis for data is an Orange deal of 6GB/3months £16 (ISTR).
    They have you by the short and curlies but ISTR it isn't all that far
    off other high speed internet offerings. I think the best price point
    around here is about 20Mbps *but* you need year round direct line of
    sight to a host node or you are completely out of luck.

    Martin Brown, Feb 2, 2015
  20. AnthonyL

    NY Guest

    What about all the people who live in rural areas where mobile phone
    coverage is very patchy. Even in a village of several thousand people
    quarter of a mile from a trunk A road, mobile reception even for phone
    calls, never mind internet, is very patchy. Some days I get a fairly strong
    signal, other days I get nothing - and mobile internet varies between
    nothing and H, with very occasional burst of 3G.

    Given this, there's no way I could manage with mobile broadband and no ADSL.
    Sadly phone companies are spending all their money upgrading people with 3G
    so they get 4G, instead of first making sure that everyone gets at least 3G
    as a minimum standard. Typical: give the "haves" even more while neglecting
    the "have nots" :-( Like with HS2 railway lines: upgrade an existing route
    from Yorkshire and Birmingham to London instead of reopening closed lines to
    serve areas that don't have rail but are crying out for it.

    NY, Feb 2, 2015