    and I am using a simple digital camera (Minolta DiMage X2). Can anyone
    recommend a way to take or work with the images that would help this
    and that wouldn't be too difficult for an amateur set-up?

    joannaperl, Apr 19, 2005

  2. Try turning off the auto white balance on the camera and set it manually
    to the color of the lights used. Sorry I don't know how your camera does
    this.

    Joseph Meehan, Apr 19, 2005

  3. joannaperl

    paul Guest

    Use a grey card or just use the eyedropper in the curves or levels tools
    on the white porcelain.

    paul, Apr 19, 2005
  4. joannaperl

    Eric Miller Guest

    It sounds like your problem is that you are using two different color light
    sources. No gray card or white balance setting on your camera will correct
    this and it will be very difficult, if even possible, to correct this with
    PS. The simple solution is to use only one light source or only similarly
    colored light sources. Either turn off the lights in your office or turn off
    the flash on your camera. Even if you are not using flash, diffuse daylight
    coming from a window is a different color than the halogen lights and will
    cause the effect that you describe. Conveniently though, your flash will
    likely have a similar color to the window light though not perfectly
    identical.

    Play with white posterboard as a reflector (opposite the window), turn off
    the office lights, open the shades, place your subject close to the window
    and use your flash with different amounts of flash compensation to get the
    lighting that you desire. Try shooting with the same setup without flash
    also.

    Eric Miller

    Eric Miller, Apr 19, 2005
  5. I'm not familiar with the capabilities of your camera but what might be
    causing the problem is the camera is capturing an image that shows two
    different light sources. The ceiling lights will give a differing
    coloration on the porcelain than the flash. An easy way to tell is to
    take a picture without the flash enabled or turn off the lights and take
    a photograph. If the cast disappears then you need to light the subject
    with only one type of lighting source. If the cast is still there then
    I don't know what to suggest but I'm sure someone here can help you further.

    Michael Johnson, PE, Apr 19, 2005
  6. joannaperl

    Roy Guest

    Mixed Lighting sources, is the problem. If you are using Flash or Daylight
    in additon to your roof Lights.

    If your halogen roof lights are the miniature type with built in reflectors,
    you can buy replacement bulbs which are colour corrected to daylight, that
    is 6500K. Your Flash and Daylight will both be very close to 6500K, and the
    problem of uneven colour will go away. If you then get an overall bluish
    colour, change the White Balance in the Camera to 6500K.

    Roy G

    Roy, Apr 19, 2005
  7. joannaperl

    digital Guest

    Hello,

    You can try software for color correction. Here are some
    examples of white balance correction in Color Pilot:
    http://www.colorpilot.com/cp_ex07.html
    http://www.colorpilot.com/cp_ex11.html

    Color Pilot allows you to save the results of the preceding correction.
    If you have many photos with a similar color balance, it is enough to
    correct one photo and then to click the Repeat button on the main
    toolbar.
    After downloading the program you can see the demonstration how to
    correct several photos. For that you should open Example 14 on the menu
    Examples.

    Best regards,

    Olga Panchenko
    Two Pilots
    http://www.colorpilot.com

    digital, Apr 20, 2005
  8. joannaperl

    joannaperl Guest

    Thanks to everyone for their responses and the suggestions. They are
    all very helpful and I look forward to trying them out.

    joannaperl, Apr 22, 2005