    subjects smile can turn to a frown. How do I set a Canon A75 to to record
    simultaneous with my snapping the picture? Does daylight or flash change
    how to do that?

    Robert Reznikoff, Jan 6, 2005

  2. Robert Reznikoff

    bob Guest

    Mostly you don't. A lot of the delay is due to needing to focus; you can
    greatly reduce the time by half pressing the shutter release, which will
    pre-focus. If you have a manual focus option on your camera, then this
    setting will eliminate the need to focus at all.

    The shortest delays for non-slr digital cameras that i've seen talked about
    were around 0.1 seconds. That seems short, until you realize that an object
    moving at 10 miles per hour moves about a foot in that time period.

    (10mph)(5280ft/mi)(1hr/60min)(1min/60sec)(.1sec)=1.4ft.

    10 mph = 16 kph. 1.4 foot = less than 1/2 m.

    Bob

    bob, Jan 6, 2005

  3. Robert Reznikoff

    Chris D Guest

    I think the A95 uses the same silly AiAF autofocus system that
    the A95 uses doesn't it? It automatically pics which of 9 focus
    areas to use? Turning this off, and just using centre focus
    will greatly reduce the autofocus time, because the camera
    doesn't have to decide which of the 9 to use, it just focuses on
    the centre. Look in your manual for info on how to do this. If
    you don't have the manual, it's available online from the Canon
    website.

    If your A75 has a Kids n Pets mode like the 95, then that
    reduces focus time as well, because it's set to only focus
    between 1 and 3 metres, so it doesn't play around with anything
    else. I Shoot in Kids n Pets pretty regularly, because it seems
    to be the shortest delay to focus, and I mostly shoot my kids.
    (Sometimes, you really DO wanna shoot the buggers...)

    As mentioned, you can also prefocus by half pressing the shutter
    button, which speeds things up as well. I Have trouble
    believing that people need to be told this, because pretty much
    every camera I've used, film or digital, has this... It's not
    something new that needs to be learnt for digital...

    -Chris D

    Chris D, Jan 6, 2005
  4. Robert Reznikoff

    Horace Guest

    This only applies to autofocus cameras. Perhaps the OP is most familiar with
    manual, of fixed focus, cameras. Just my .02.

    Horace

    Horace, Jan 6, 2005