    buy a loaf of bread.

    Thanks
    Denny B

    Denny B, Jun 9, 2006

  2. Denny B

    JTS Brown Guest

    I need both.

    JTS Brown, Jun 9, 2006

  3. Denny B

    LabRat Guest

    Elements was designed with the digital photographer in mind. Although it
    lacks some of the high-end functions of Photoshop, it is doubtful that most
    people would ever miss them. Here are a few links to articles attempting to
    explain the differences between the two programs...

    http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/photoshop/f/elementscompare.htm

    http://www.graphic-design.com/Photoshop/lynch/index.html

    I originally recieved Elements 2.0 with a camera body, and was pleased
    enough with its functionality to recently ungrade to 4.0 (~ $50 on ebay).
    My suggestion would be to try out Elements for $50 before you shell out the
    $600 for CS2. You can also download trial versions of both programs at
    http://www.adobe.com/downloads to see which one fits you needs best before
    buying.

    LabRat

    LabRat, Jun 9, 2006
  4. Denny B

    Pete D Guest

    I use both and find that Elements will pretty much do everything for my
    photos but I prefer the PS way of doing some things particularly layers.

    Pete D, Jun 9, 2006
  5. Denny B

    Scott W Guest

    I use Elements but keep thinking about getting Photoshop. There is a
    lot in Photoshop that would be useful and it is most likely well worth
    the money, but for the price of it I can get another lens, and when the
    choice is between a lens and Photoshop to date the lens has won out.

    Scott

    Scott W, Jun 9, 2006
  6. Denny B

    Arthur Small Guest

    Arthur Small, Jun 9, 2006
  7. Like other said, depends on your needs. But, there are many support
    sites on the web where work-arounds for Elements are described that take
    up much of the slack between E and CS. And, many "how to" books for E
    that give a lot of helpful tips.

    I would try E first and see if it does what you want, particularly after
    you ask for some help on the forums for digital photography. I think
    you will be surprized at what E can do.

    Ockham's Razor, Jun 9, 2006
  8. Denny B

    Bill Hilton Guest

    I learned Photoshop before Elements 1.0 even came out, so for me it's
    Photoshop, but for people just starting out I recommend Elements (I
    learned it well enough to teach a couple of friends how to use it) ...
    an experienced Photoshop user will find Elements is missing a lot he
    takes for granted, but a new user won't miss channels or actions or LAB
    mode or CMYK or the dozen or so other things lacking in Elements.

    For sure you can do the basic, key image adjustments in Elements, which
    is probably all you need right now.
    You can also find Elements bundled for free with many digital products,
    like tablets, Canon cameras or scanners ... I have 3 or 4 copies of
    Elements 2 and 3 floating around unused ... so if you're about to buy
    some hardware maybe wait and see if there's a freebie in it. I often
    see Elements on sale at the local Fry's for $59 or $69 too ...

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Jun 9, 2006
  9. Denny B

    Neil Ellwood Guest

    Get the Gimp - it is cheaper (free)

    Neil Ellwood, Jun 9, 2006
  10. For me it would be.

    But I use Paint Shop Pro, anyway.

    John Falstaff, Jun 9, 2006
  11. Denny B

    Freedom55 Guest

    Neither, PSPX with RSE for RAW support.

    Ron

    --
    And it really doesn't matter if
    I'm wrong I'm right

    Lennon & McCartney

    Freedom55, Jun 9, 2006
  12. Denny B

    Pete D Guest

    I cannot do without actions, I seriously hate Adobe for leaving this out of
    elements.

    Pete D, Jun 9, 2006
  13. Denny B

    bmoag Guest

    I would start with Elements.
    I am addicted to CS2 because of the few things with sublayers that I could
    not do in Elements (last saw Version 3).
    However if I had never gotten used to doing things a certain way in PS I
    would probably not have missed it.
    Most of what is not in Elements is available as plug-ins, many free, from
    other sources.

    bmoag, Jun 9, 2006
  14. Denny B

    Ron Hunter Guest

    If you have to ask, Elements is probably better for you. Unless you are
    doing work for money, it is likely that the cost of PhotoShop CS2 would
    be prohibitive. Elements offers about 90% of the functionality for
    about 15% of the price.

    Ron Hunter, Jun 10, 2006
  15. Denny B

    Denny B Guest

    Thank you all kindly for your replies.

    Denny B

    Denny B, Jun 10, 2006
  16. Denny B

    Stacey Guest

    I love being able to record 'actions' in PS saves a LOT of time and some
    things I do just wouldn't be reasonable to do without being able to use an
    action to do it.

    Stacey, Jun 11, 2006
  17. Denny B

    Stacey Guest

    The other option is something like an older copy of PS7, it does most of
    what PS CS does and some key things like recording actions that elements
    doesn't have.

    Stacey, Jun 11, 2006
  18. You can also use the PS6 trial for recording actions.

    Geoff Realname, Jun 14, 2006
  19. Photoshop Elements is useful right out of the box. Photoshop Elements
    offers simple controls that are not included in Photoshop. The ones I
    use most are:

    Lighten shadows
    Darken highlights
    Color variations
    Red eye removal

    Also, photoshop plugings work with photoshop elements. Photoshop is
    most commonly used with plugins.

    They seem to have the same filters. Photoshop Elements is easy to use
    out of the box. It takes a lot of dedication and skill to do the same
    things with Photoshop.

    There is a third choice; Nikon is coming out with a competative program
    that is said to knock the sox off the photoshop products and at a
    reasonable price. It is described in a beta test in the last issue of
    Pop Photo.

    Stephen Henning, Jun 14, 2006
  20. After some miserable experiences with Nikon scanner software, I pass.

    Ockham's Razor, Jun 14, 2006