    not a professional and do not intend to invest large amounts of money on
    lighting equipment. I'm looking for ways to get good results inexpensively.
    Hope there is such a thing. Thanks.

    Terry, Sep 4, 2006

  2. Terry

    C Wright Guest

    Here are two resources, a book and a web site.

    The book is Photographic Lighting essential skills by John Child and Mark
    Galer, Focal Press. This book is actually written to be used in a classroom
    situation but there is no reason that it cannot be used stand alone. The
    third addition was written relatively recently (2005) so topics related
    specifically to digital are discussed.

    The web site is:
    http://www.studiolighting.net/
    This site has a lot of good information and can help you understand the
    basics pretty fast. One precaution is that some, but not all, of the
    information is slanted toward one type and brand of strobe lighting. I am
    sure that that brand is OK; but, if you are using this information to make a
    purchasing decision be aware that there are lots of very good alternatives.

    Chuck

    C Wright, Sep 4, 2006

  3. I use bounced flash quite a bit, with moderate success. Years ago, a white
    umbrella used to be the preferred option, but I make do with the ceiling
    these days!

    Dennis.

    Dennis Pogson, Sep 5, 2006
  4. Terry

    Bill K Guest

    Terry,
    If you are like me, you buy every book on the subject you can find.
    I've found,though, that it's best to get in there and just do it. Even
    though I have studio lights I've found natural light with a reflector
    most often yields the best results. But, I'm not only a book nerd but
    also a gear head. The boys with the most toys win

    Bill K, Sep 6, 2006
  5. Terry

    Frank ess Guest

    This comes up from tome to tome, and when I can reach the keyboard I
    sometimes remember to suggest an excellent and inexpensive pair of