electronic staff handbook

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Howie, Aug 11, 2004.

  1. Howie

    Howie Guest

    Our school is looking to make the transition from a paper copy staff
    handbook to the electronic form (a huge waste of paper and secretaries time
    preparing it). Most of the documents will be in PDF form (I've found a way
    to convert almost anything to PDF), with some word documents.

    My Questions:

    1) We want to set it up so that the staff (some are quite computer
    illiterate) can access the electronic staff handbook through the school
    network, and maybe someday have it available online (through a password).
    We want to set it up so they can access the various pages by clicking on a
    index or table contents page. Should we set up a word document with
    hyperlinks, or a web-page type index / table of contents (with hyperlinks)?
    Other ideas?

    2) We have a pile of forms that staff members need to fill out through out
    the year. It would be great if we could find a way for the staff to be able
    to type in information on these forms in a "locked" Word document. "Locked"
    in terms of they can only type in a certain area of the form, with the form
    labels remaining unchanged. After they have type in the pertinent
    information, they could print it off. Do you know what I'm asking?

    2) Any other suggestions / comments / tips / advice?

    Thanks!

    Howie

    Howie, Aug 11, 2004

  2. Howie

    Stuart Guest

    Well if you have Acrobat then that is easy, there are also other
    alternatives.
    Depends, do you want one document with everything in it or one document
    with links to others? A PDF would be better than a word document if you
    want to distribute it and print it correctly. The word/PDF route would
    be more advisable if you wanted to easily print out the manuals, so it
    would be accessible online as well as in print form and would look
    exactly the same either way.
    Forms can be created in Acrobat with specific areas of the document as
    editable fields.

    Stuart

    Stuart, Aug 11, 2004

  3. Howie

    Howie Guest

    I would like a word document or web-page directory type structure, eg -
    section A, section B, etc... Then in each section are the separate pdf /
    word files.
    would these editable forms be opened in Adobe Acrobat? Adobe Reader?
    Microsoft Word?

    Howie, Aug 11, 2004
  4. Howie

    Stuart Guest

    Sounds like you want sections with links to the external word/pdf files,
    this can be done either way you have suggested. It would be much better
    if you use only one document type people would get fed up of jumping
    between word and acrobat. If you use pdfs in conjunction with Acrobat
    Reader then you can stop people messing with the documents.
    In Acrobat Reader.

    Stuart

    Stuart, Aug 12, 2004
  5. Howie

    WebWalker Guest

    If you truly interest in pdf solution.
    Try to search keyword "pdf" in newsgroups and you might find some pdf
    dedicated groups.

    WebWalker, Aug 13, 2004